Interpreting results of French blood test

As we said, different cultures and different attitudes to health and healthcare.

1 Like

It was called JCB disease over here.

Itā€™s what they used to dig a big hole in the corner of a field to bury the cows (that didnā€™t have the disease of course).

1 Like

The ban on UK residentsā€™ blood isnā€™t really for health reasons, it is purely political. Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear enough!

You werenā€™t! You said it was ā€œa precautionā€, not a political decision.

Mmmmā€¦ I think ā€œprecautionā€ is also applicableā€¦ as no government would want to have the finger pointed at themā€¦ if/when something happens/goes wrongā€¦ :thinking: there has already been a terrific ā€œscandalā€ in UK about contaminated blood transfusions involving HIVā€¦ (many years agoā€¦ I think) - mind you, that certainly happened here in Franceā€¦ with deadly consequencesā€¦ :sob:

Survivors are still fighting for justice!
We did ask at the laboratoire recently if they had my husbands blood group, they were shocked that we asked! We could have could have them ā€˜doneā€™ for the price ofā€¦65euroā€™s each!

OH and I had no idea of our blood groups. When we first ā€œsigned onā€ with a French Doc he put us through our paces :upside_down_face: and discovering our ignorance, he sent us for the necessary blood tests - which cost us nothingā€¦ :hugs: so we were lucky.

1 Like

Just tell your GP that you donā€™t know and he will send you for one (FOC) like Stella said. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Our GP was the first one that mentioned the cost, our old GP no problem :smile: he saved us a few bob over the years. Thankfully we do have our groups, my donor card (UK) and my husbandsā€™ dog tags are stamped with his type.

I can only think that , as you already knew your blood type , a blood test would have been unnecessary and thus at your own expense.

Presumably you have told your Doctor what your blood groups are ???

(Iā€™m uploading that sort of information to my DMP in the ethernet)

Nothing is taken as read here in France.
I had an ordinance for a blood group indicator prior to being admitted for heart surgery (it didnā€™t cost but there again, I was covered by an ALD).
After the op I needed a transfusion and the nurses went to considerable trouble conducting a blood test to confirm the group before opening the bag.
This happened on a couple of other occasions too despite being in possession of my official blood group carte - nothing taken to chance :wink:

Never thought to give it to the doc :face_with_hand_over_mouth: we just asked out of curiousity.
I did not know you could add infomation to DMP, how?
A couple of years ago my husband needed an unexpected transfusion, after what should have been a simplish op, never thought to ask about the blood procedure at the time just thought he was give the ā€˜one fits allā€™ type :thinking:
Need to take more notice now we are getting older!
Yesterday, my husband suddenly remembered that he was given a card (blood group) when he was discharged from the hospital :face_with_hand_over_mouth: now we need to find it!

Just log in to your DMP account and upload an image of the carteā€¦
Thereā€™s an option to add a document.

2 Likes

Donor card no problem, not sure a dog tag will be that easy.

take a photo of the tag with your phone and upload that :thinking:
Other than that, try sticking it in the floppy drive :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Just uploaded mine and that of OHā€¦ amazing how simple it is.

Now, I just have to get all the latest reports/scans etc and upload those.

Hopefully, when we undergo new scans/tests over the coming months, this uploading will happen automatically. Fingers crossedā€¦:thinking:

It wonā€™t @Stella
Seems the medics havenā€™t got round to trusting the service just yet so we continue to upload ours directly.

ah wellā€¦ at least, once weā€™re up to dateā€¦ it will only be every now and then. Itā€™s the backlog which will take some time.

Also, I need to figure what docs need to be in the DMP. eg: Not sure they need every bloodtest result for the last 15/20 years. Iā€™ll give them the first bad one and then the most recent one which shows the improvementā€¦ :thinking:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

I am having problems signing inā€¦grrr!

you usually get a code sent to your phoneā€¦