Introduce yourselves!

Hello everyone,

I admit I’m not very clear where to introduce myself and where to start a discussion, so I’ll do a bit of both. I’m full of admiration for all you people who have moved lock stock and barrel to France and many of you have sold up in the UK by the sound of it. I’ve been more circumspect, living in Cambridge and having my main residence here, and having managed to buy very cheaply a little 2-storey house above a shop in Lamalou les bains, l”Herault (34). I’ve had a long connection with France with friends, speak French and love most aspects of the culture. Had a lot of building work done and that’s been ok. But what I’ve really come unstuck with is the wifi and phone etc. I took out a contract with SFR last April; the equipment never worked (although I haven’t sent it back yet, but I will when I’m back in March!) I managed to claw back the direct debit payments through my French bank account (did you know you can do this in France?). Now I’m being hounded by SFR who is threatening to take me to court if I don’t pay their bill. It’s only just over a 100 euros but I refuse to pay as a point of principle. I think they are just bullying me and trying it on, but if anyone has any similar experience or advice for me I’d love to hear it.

Bye for now,

Penny

No problems Denis..

Here's the link for this year...http://legendairenlimousin.blogspot.fr/p/press-book-2016.html

Thanks David for that nice offer.. I viewed a house in Exideuil, not far from you a year ago but it need too much work doing to it. That airshow sounds great... i will look forward to that...

Likewise, we are in Roumazieres-Loubert .. PM if nearby, we are only over every 6 weeks or so though.

St Junien has a great free airshow every September too - don't miss it!

Thanks Peter, I will PM you..

Thanks Val, that's a very nice offer which I will definitely take you up on..looking forward to it...

Hi Denis, a warm welcome and congratulations on following your dream. I'm about 30 minutes south of St Junien so if you don't have a fear of bouncing dogs you're always welcome for a coffee after you've settled in. Good luck. V.

Hi Denis, I live in the centre of town so maybe I can help ?

Probably easier to 'PM' me ?

Regards

Peter

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a house in a village near St Junien sur Vienne. It has always been my dream to own a house in France and I fell in love with one when visiting the area recently and can't wait to take possession. Initially I intend to spend around four or five months a year there and hopefully move there permanently after a while.

I do not speak the language yet but I am trying to learn. I don't think there are any expats in my village and I'm hoping to get help and advice from anyone on here who is kind enough to offer it.

I know very little about the region so if there are any expats on here who maybe live close by it would be great to make contact as I have lots of questions lol..

Thanks for reading this..

The problem with freestanding kitchen furniture is the price! It's possible to get a row of IKEA base units, worktop and a couple of wall cupboards for €1000 or less.

But freestanding, ie removable, cabinets all seem to be far more expensive. I did hear of a kitchen fitter who adapted the bases of some B&Q fitted cabinets to make a freestanding island unit but don't know what or how he did it. Any suggestions?

OK Ken, had no idea that could be done, great idea then !

Friends have installed kitchens twice. The first time they took photos of the empty kitchen when they took the flat (as well as the formal état des lieux). When they moved two years later they took the cupboards etc away, filled and skimmed the plaster and gave it a quick coat of paint so that it matched the original. The cabinets etc then went to their daughter's cottage, bought as a wreck to rebuild.

Second time around they simply took away their appliances and left the cupboards etc behind. They mentally amortised the €2000 or so the kitchen had cost and said: "It's as though the rent was €50-odd a month more than we actually paid. But for that we got the kitchen we wanted. A similar apartment upstairs with cuisine amenagée was €100 more, and only half the amount of cupboards we had."

Hello Shirley, hope you are not snowed in !

I understand about the lack of kitchen units and I know of people who have bought movable units with worktops etc and have taken them at the end of the rental. We did that with our son when renting in Poitiers for a couple of years but the fitting of a complete kitchen is another thing. Maybe i'm completely wrong (that wouldn't be unusual !) but i've never come across tenants being allowed to do such a thing.

Hi Peter,many empty properties I looked at only had a sink unit in them! So yes tenants do put their own furniture in. There isn’t an obligation on landlords to supply more than that, unless the law has changed,which I don’t think. A property with one will rent quicker but there is no guarantee as to quality of fitments of workmanship, as I found in my current rental.

Hi again. I can ask around if the need arises so you never know or maybe ask on the forums for personal recommendations ?

If you are renting the kitchen will be included I would imagine. I've never heard of a tenant installing a kitchen in a property they are renting, even on a long-term rental. My lady friend is in a long-term areement and she's not allowed t do anything except re decorate.

Thanks again, Peter

We've lived in many different locations from the leafy avemues of Edinburgh's Morningside to the "concrete jungle" of East End regeneration in London, and now a typical modern suburban housing development along the River Thames. Good transport links are key, so we will definitely investigate the St Contest / Memorial area.

Might your friends know anyone expert in assembling (Ikea or similar) kitchens? If, as likely, we find a place with an empty kitchen rather than one which is amenagée & equipée?

Herouville has become a concrete jungle over the past 25 years and just to think it was fields in the '70s ! I have friends not too far away in St Contest, about a mile from the Memorial where new developments are also underway. It has good transport links to the Centre like Herouville.

Thanks, Peter

Caen has been our favourite city for a while now.

We really want a modern flat with a balcony or terrace for the days it isn't raining! We've also looked at a new development in Herouville Saint Clair – close to the tram stop on the Avenue de la Grande Cavée, and there seem to be quite a few new builds in our price bracket.

The other thing we need is space - ideally 80–100m, with a good-sized salon and a kitchen big enough for proper cooking – prefer to fit our own appliances etc.

Calvados weather suits us fine – we don't get on well with the summer heat in the south.

Hi Gill & Ken,

Caen is my favourite French city. I lived there in the '70s bu still get lured back for regular visits. I used to live in Saint Saveur, just around the corner from Hastings and loved it. Saint Saveur is the only 'banlieu' not flattened during WW2 so many of the buildings are older, but is handy for the centre a two minute walk away. Other areas still nice to live in are Rue St Jean, near the cathedral and a few hundred metres away near the port. Prices will obviously be higher in the centre but you will get a nice place within your budget with one bedroomed flats starting at about 500€ or so but it depends what ou are after of course.

I do love the area but it is quite damp and more 'british' in it's weather compared to where I am now so I wouldn't want to live there on a permanent basis. If I had the money I would spend the warmer months in Calvados and the rest further south. I just need to win the lotto......

Dear all

Hello from Gill and Ken, in our 60s, hoping and planning to move from London to Caen later this year.

We're both Francophiles. Gill originally trained as a linguist and more recently a postgrad TEFL diploma, but not sure if/how teaching or translation would work in France. I was a business journalist for 30 years, recently working in PR and corporate comms, but now semi-retired on health grounds, with just occasional freelance work.

Our plan is to find an apartment to rent for the long term – up to €1000 a month (no capital to buy, but we have been renters for many years since our business went bust). We've been prospecting, seen a few decent apartments in a couple of areas (eg Quartier Hastings) but we can't make a move until Gill gets her company retirement package in a few months time.

All advice, hints, suggestions etc welcome.