Iphone to laptop but not then to projector

Just out of curiosity - we managed so not essential to know - does anyone understand why the following happened at our photo club on Thursday evening?

Our speaker was using his laptop attached to our projector via an HDMI cable and showing his presentation charts on a big screen.

He then wanted to show us what we could do with our mobile phone cameras, so attached his iphone to his laptop - that worked fine - images from the phone were now on the laptop. But we could not get the images from the laptop through the projector onto the big screen. Nothing had changed - HDMI cable still attached to laptop and projector. The image on the big screen remained the screensaver from the laptop, even though what we were seeing on his laptop screen were photos from his mobile phone.

Anyone any idea why that should be?

(We coped by huddling around his laptop - hopefully no-one’s got Covid!)

How were you connecting the phone to the laptop?

Also, it sounds to me as if the lack of image on the projector was a “mirroring” issue - in other words the laptop screen and projector were being treated by the computer as two separate screens side by side instead of the projector “mirroring” the laptop display.

The solution is either to change the display settings in the computer’s setup to mirroring instead of side by side, or if the phone camera output was being displayed by an app, dragging that app’s window sideways until it appeared on the projector.

Sidenote: I used to use an iPad to show my photos at business networking meetings, using either a Lightning to HDMi cable or a “Miracast” device to do it wirelessly.

Neither method was 100% reliable - Miracast relied on having a local wifi network that the dongle attached to the projector and the iPad had to both be connected to, and the iPad would often drop that connection if it saw an alternative stronger wifi signal, such as the meeting venue’s wifi network.

I now use an M2 MacBook Air connected by USB-C to HDMI cable and that always works.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. I think it’s one of those things where we’d have to try it again to see just what’s going on. Of course in the middle of the meeting we just had to plough on. We needed his iphone as he was showing us live what Snapseed can do. Interesting.

Exactly my configuration.

1 Like