Irish Referendum on same sex marriage

No Jane, I speak of our majority - Roman Catholic Church, not COI (which is anglican, but not necessarily Protestant - it's complicated!). My comment above says it's a 2in1 service so yes, you don't have to do a second service at the registry if married in the Church, because as Sheila so rightly says below, the priest can solmenise the marriage but he needs to send in the paperwork to the registry office.

So on the surface it seems the church marriage is legal, and ultimately it leads to that (hopefully) unless the couple are having just a blessing - then the legal aspect is left out.

As an add-on, I got married in a hotel, as now in Ireland you can request a solmeniser to come to a public place to marry you - it's very cool as it means you don't have to go to the manky registry office for a shotgun service. And the paperwork is sorted for you (albeit, like the church, not cheaply).

Celesta I stayed in the same relationship with my husband, but moved on after 45+ years - no neither were easier to do - I just did thats all - especially financially the day I left. I knew my pension wouldn’t keep me so just had to seek out other alternatives and find a way to survive. Now thanks to a settlement a few months after I left, and the French government I do, not necessarily always happily but at least I am ruled by no man now, unless it’s a politician, English or French. my faith and beliefs will go to my grave with me

thanks for your kind comments though, in respect to other SFN’rs and those I haven’t answered, I think it’s time to give you all a rest from my opinions on this discussion!

Celesta I just watched the video, and a couple of others, interesting Yes and I understand where Mary Mcaleese is coming from, especially what she said about her gay sons’ young life and no I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. I’ve, over the years heard many people being interviewed on TV and saying similar things about being seen as ‘different’ and yes I have a lot of sympathy for them, especially because of emotional damage done.

My childhood made me realise my circumstances in England were different from my Scottish family’s my mother left our home, a caravan in W Mallimg, close to a hop farm, in Kent, abandoned me while my father was in hospital with TB, so I was brought up as the child of a single male parent, occasionally with grandparents spending for short periods in Scotland various school holidays in different places, including a children’s home in W London. given Mary’s sons both grew up In a loving family environment, I’d sooner have had that opportunity also, but the fact I didnt, didn’t make me as an adult, want to change any laws. Being accepted for who and what you are is more important. It’s society we need to change to stop homophobia. in society we have free will and sadly I think a marriage certificate is only going to make a difference to the couples involved, rather than all society. the institution and concept of marriage between man and woman has been destroyed forever. The majority has lost out yet again to the minority, in voting no, in actuality yes. There will still be other kids like Mary’s son, coming up against the same attitude, as in years gone by, from their peers.

I’m sorry but I still find it very difficult to accept the concept of marriage as I’ve always known, understood and accepted it. I said earlier, the law should be changed in many other individuL respects to and for the benefit of gay people, especially the Abortion one, before the Marriage law. Gays have before and will continue to live together, respect their individuality and choices of who they want to be with. Its NOT or essential or necessary to have that law changed.

Go hug your tree, Celeste! Then we must make an evil plan to meet up soon. I haven't clapped eyes on you for ...? Two years??? I think I may hug a glass of wine - less risk of bark scrape! :-D

I agree too, good way of saying it Sheila.

Give me a child until they are seven.

But people have added the 's' irrespective. My bro-in-law and his partner both speak pretty good English, especially the partner's mother being Irish (he is half French, half Irish Argentinian). They use gay as an adjective to describe themselves and as 'gays', especially when they are in the Anglophone world. Swiss Italians have adopted the word to describe a a male person and have the pluralised version consequently. In German the equivalent is 'schwul' which means 'sultry', they have adopted it as a noun and pluralised it although an adjective. My feeling is that without a terminology apart from the rather blunt versions like homosexual and lesbian, a natural modification of their adopted vernacular has made it all possible. Fine by me, but then I guess some of us have called ourselves 'hets' for a while which apart from the obvious abbreviation, if people did not know the original full word would seem like a strange choice.

I know. I agree with Sheila's posts - not Shirley's! I guess names are important!

I am gay, Celeste. I think Jane was continuing our debate about the use of the word "gay" and saying she understood my point that I wouldn't want to be referred to as "a gay", as in "She is a gay" but didn't understand why I would be unhappy if someone said about my partner and I, "They are gays".

Haha. No problem. Last week on Facebook, someone mixed me up with Sandra. So what's in a name? What's in a title? What does it matter what we are called? I have lots of friends - I don't know or care what if any religious persuasion they might have, I don't know or care whether they are LGBT, straight, etc., etc. I don't judge anyone on those or any other issues. Just sayin'.

One of the original points of this discussion as stated by John was that our country of birth voted for EQUALITY! For those of you that don't get it, that means equal rights for ALL.

Celeste, I never said that at all.

It is all right to say this Celeste, but these referendum people keep coming back until they get the result they want.

My point is "gay" is an adjective, not a noun so there is no plural! Unlike French, there's no "s" added to adjectives.

So sorry, Sheila. My comments were addressed to Shirley. Certainly, not you. Unfortunately, I can't seem to edit the post.

Hi Michelle. Did you mean to address this to me? I cannot connect it to anything I've said.

They cannot have been married in a C of E church Celeste.

My late ex- had a son when she was under 21, 19 actually, and had to fight her parents to keep him. They had the last word whether a child could be kept in those days and the word of a young woman's father was all that was required for an adoption. In her case he would have been taken away from the maternity ward, however she had said beforehand that if her child was taken they would never see her again. She was their only child. so they 'chickened' out and let her keep him. Needless to say, once old enough he knew and never spoke to his grandparents again, did not even turn up at either funeral either. However, he escaped being taken and probably, first half of the 1960s, was saved the humiliation of being sent to Australia and we have heard since what the lives of orphanage children was there. Not nice. That was England in those days too.

Castration for all these men.

They are the only ones who walk into the street each time equipped with the equipment to carry out a crime!

Here we have a difference of opinion Celeste.
In the UK we vote for a government to decide the major issues for us, we can, of course, lobby for our personal preferences afterwards, but why elect a government in the first place? A large Council seems to be more appropriate.

Well that is fine with me.
I totally understand that you are not a gay, but surely the plural of gay is gays?

My natural mother and my half brothers and sister were going to take me to the High Court to prevent me finding my natural father, but backed out before the case came up.

They are not nice people.

My natural mother is now dead and I will never know the name of my father, who was never told he had a child.

There may not be such stigma attached to pregnancy, but there seem to be too many people who do not understand that they are bringing another person into this world, not just having a good sex life or trying to get a council flat.