IRM appointment

There are 2 MRI scanners in Bergerac, one at the hospital and one at the clinique Pasteur. I don’t know if there is a PET scanner.

1 Like

2 Likes

This reminders me of a lovely joke…but I can only remember the punch line :laughing:

Ah is it like the joke about ‘using your dictaphone/no I use my finger’ ?

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: No, there was a vet involved…

That’s interesting. I often think that you lot over in the south west have services we can only dream of…but obviously not. We have an MRI/CT centre about 20km away and an all singing ultrasound/MTI/CT/PET/nuclear scanning centre 40 km away.

We email prescriptions, although sometimes if it is issued by a doctor they know then they book an appointment without having to see it first.

A man went to the doctor feeling unwell. The doctor examined him and said what he thought was wrong. The patient wasn’t happy with this and asked for a second opinion. The doctor opened the door and a big yellow dog walked in looked at the patient , nodded his head and walked out. The patient still wasn’t happy so the doctor opened another door and a cat came in,walked up to the man sniffed all round him nodded and walked out The patient still wasn’t happy so the doctor said “ What more do you want, you have had the LAB report and the CAT scan what else can do? “

6 Likes

One of the good things we have living here in the Clunysois, is that there is a lot of co-operation with the hospitals in Macon and centres of excellence in Lyon.
We have an older car and on some days it will not be allowed into Lyon and I am sure that we are not the only ones in this position, so what do we do if we are sent to either the Protestant Clinic for cardiac problems or Centre Leon Berrard for cancer?

Jane… I have no idea, but you cannot be the only person in such a situation. Perhaps there is a park and ride scheme to help folk in such times… ???

Groan :slight_smile:

It amuses me to hear of talk of a prescription for an MRI scan - we usually call them “requests” (more of a distinction than it might seem at face value).

2 Likes

Prescription or ‘requests’ it is still needed to get an appoinment for the procedure.

1 Like

I see it more as an “authorisation” than a request.

1 Like

In the Uk it would be a request because you are asking a professional to carry out a procedure,and they could decline if they felt it necessary

1 Like

I guess here it is the MT authorising the treatment required for his patient. As without his authorisation the booking/appointment will not be granted.

1 Like

No, it isn’t - at least not in the UK.

In the UK requests are passed through a clinician who actually authorises the scan - especially important in the case of CT scans or other scans where ionising radiation is involved.

Admittedly with the volume most go through on the nod. MRI, of course involves no radiation but the distinction is important and enshrined in law if ionising radiation is involved - the relevant legislation being the IR(ME)R - Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2000 - I would expect France to have something similar.

Yup.

A scan isn’t treatment though. Of course you are right in that a patient can’t (usually) request a scan without going through a clinician.

I was reading a poster the other day that said that a CT thorax ,abdomen and pelvis,which isn’t uncommon ,exposes the patient to as much radiation as they would receive in the background in 7-8 years

Mary et Paul, are you saying that MRI’s are only agreed (or not) on the ‘request’ of the patient?

Let’s be clear… @anon22869222 and @anon88169868 are talking about what happens in UK … (I think???)

:thinking:

In France (in my experience) the MT discusses with the patient and if the MT thinks the MRI is necessary and the patient agrees to have it done… then the MT issues a prescription for such…

1 Like

I am talking UK

Yes I realise that, it is just interesting to know. I am not making comparisons.