Is 60% deposit for electric work too much?

Have finally found someone to carry out my electric works. He was thorough and seemed competent when he came to visit, gave a quote I am happy with and is available to work in a few weeks time.

He is asking for a 60% deposit. This seems like quite a lot to me, and various websites seem to confirm this. I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever paid so much for a deposit and also what legal protection you have.

It is a greater figure than we used to ask for, 50% on the first day of work, but the figure is possibly open to discussion.

Does he need to purchase any expensive items/materials for your job?

OH would always ask for a deposit on starting works and depending on said works, if items such as sanitary ware that had to be ordered or electrical equipment, he would also ask for that payment up front too. The rule of thumb used to be third on starting, third on good progress halfway through and last bit on completion. Under french law, if the total invoice at the end is not paid in full by the client, the assurance decenelle is null and void!

1 Like

There’s a tableau électrique to purchase, apart from that not much else apart from cabling and plug sockets.

We paid 50% a couple of years ago, with no high-value kit to buy.

That is a pretty meaningless statement, you do not detail the quality of the supplied components.

Not sure how I can know the quality really! I know the brand being used is Legrand which I think is pretty middle of the road?

Interesting. I guess he may just be being careful as he’s never worked for me before

It was the same for us, but he was recommended by someone local and they may have vouched for us.

A deposit is only a deposit. The end result is the same. There is no formula for calculation - if someone can get 60%, then s/he has my admiration - far better to keep your cashflow good and not the customers :grinning:

I think it is fair on legrand to say that they are slightly better than middle of the road…

I always asked for 30% with signed devis, 30% after first fix, 30% after second fix, then 10% on completion.

Legrand is more than middle of the road (I used it pretty much exclusively for all my work here), but within the marque there are varying levels of finish that can boost the cost if you went for them.

EDIT: At the same time of agreeing/signing the devis you must get a copy of the artisan’s assurance, either by email or actual paper (I used to email mine to the client with the devis i.e. before they signed anything). You need to ensure that they are actually insured for the works you are engaging them for.

Caught between a rock and a hard place! I don’t like more than 30% especially when no goods are involved and these companies have very little assets. My fingers were burnt when one artisan delayed a 17k job for a year. Eventually I asked to see the carrelage bought and he had it. Otherwise I assumed it was game over. Still I understand that potentially unlike us on this board plenty of customers don’t pay…