Is a Gulf State the right location for COP28

It doesn’t make too much sense to me. Nor does having the CEO of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) as its President. A dodgy character if ever I saw one. Would you buy a secondhand dromedary from this guy, let alone a plan to save the Planet :thinking:

Is this just slick greenwashing?

Having lived in Dubai I can say from experience that the ruler, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s concept of truth and mine are completely misaligned. I’d believe nothing the Dubai Government says.

Another cause for concern.

Mind you, the Met have decided to arrest and prosecute Gretta Thunberg,

2 Likes

I know its laughable really, just giving the environment the middle finger.
That said an EV car plant making luxury EV’s is setting up there.

1 Like

So we are up to Copout28 now are we :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hold it somewhere it can be safely JDAM’d down to the bedrock without any innocent bystanders being hurt.

No one the attendees have humanities best interests at heart.

1 Like

It will be the biggest game of kick the can ever :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Of course, Dubai and the other Gulf states rely on semi-slave labour for building work. I’ve seen the poor wretches bussed back and forth daily from dangerous building sites to their prison like compounds. The busses don’t have any windows so you can see the men in a state of exhaustion.

They, of course are untermenschen compared to the golden ones striding around the shopping malls in a brilliant white disdash. Given their exploitative attitude, it’s hard to believe that only a few generations before they were poor too.

The last time I was in India (just after 9/11) a lot of (lower caste/poorer) people were saying it was their ambition to get to Dubai to work. Maybe it was the lesser of the 2 evils, but somehow doubt it.

Yes, to send the money home to help their families.

Well Copout28 looks to in a totally divided muddle before it even starts :roll_eyes:

Deep divisions ahead of crucial UN climate talks

“Many delegates doubt that a summit hosted by a petrostate - the United Arab Emirates - can shepherd the world towards a low carbon future.”

No shit Sherlock :roll_eyes:

So cynical, it will be greener than previous COP’s.
Simply because oil companies wont need to fly their delegates to the meeting as its local to them. The oil companies reps out number the attendees at previous COP’s

1 Like

Obviously the answer to the question I posed is … No :roll_eyes:

Toxic gas putting millions at risk in Middle East, BBC finds

1 Like

The sweeteners/bribing has started early :roll_eyes:
The host country, the United Arab Emirates, has pledged £79m ($100m) around 1 Nono second oil profit from them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/science-environment-67440257

“The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you’ve got it made.” George Burns.

2 Likes

From the Guardian: “Sunak says not a single leader at Cop28 has criticised UK’s petrol car ban delay”

Well that’s alright then. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s because they haven’t a clue who he is :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The reason they are not criticising as they will probably do it themselves, 2030-2035-2040- - -, no point in banning fuel powered vehicles when you don’t have the infastructure to support the alternatives and aren’t willing to invest the billions to do this.
So we will just kick the can down to the next lot that will be in power and let them blanch at it too, pathetic :roll_eyes::slightly_frowning_face:

“The design is innovative, but I’m not sure about their messaging.”

2 Likes