Is it a myth?

I heard somewhere that the Mairie often have derelict properties for sale at low prices. Is this true and how do I find out?
The local Mairie tend to ignore correspondence and are uncommunicative, I’m reluctant to go in and ask them and be laughed at.

They will usually sell via a local notaire. And sometimes rather than advertise everything on line notaires have lists on paper. Pop in to local notaires…

But if a mairie is selling something they are supposed to get as best a value for the commune as they can. So cost should reflect value…and renovation in France can be v expensive.

I’ve found that if a property is any good the Mairie will renovate it using all the grants available then rent it out as social housing.
I once tried to buy something adjoining a house I owned in the village and the reply was

“ Monsieur, la patrimoine n’est pas à vendre”

Okay. That’s useful to know. A lot of misinformation has come my way from some very monolingual British people here.
On the subject of renovation being very expensive. I know, it costs three times as much as you estimate and takes three times as long.
But grants are available.

Yes Annajayne, many councils do a great job in converting old buildings into social housing. Somewhere like Cahors has renovated dozens of dilapidated buildings in the centre. The result has to be good for everyone.

That’s great, it’s not really happening here yet. There are still many properties lying empty.

Most probably tied up in very lengthy inheritance wars. Over the last 5 years I have watched 2 cars disintegrate because of this. Neighbour’s husband died, and she was left with his two not very valuable old cars. She would have been lucky to get€3k for them. She found a buyer, but because she was his 2nd wife the cars were part of his children’s inheritance. So they blocked the sale. And there they have sat ever since…slowly decaying and sinking into the ground.

I know. There was a similar situation with a property near my friend’s house. The inheritance laws are a bit mad.

The local mairie is apparently selling an old agricultural building they use as a garage/depot, for very little - notaires’ fees would probably cost more than the building. But this is a small village, with no particular need for social housing. And I suspect the property would be difficult and expensive to convert.

Architects and local builders are worth asking as well as notaires. They may in fact have been approached for advice.

1 Like

In my village I know the Mairie currently has 2 properties (semi-detached) to sell, to renovate, but the prices they are asking are not below a correct asking price (in my opinion).

We once looked at a house with thirty inheritors and which was deteriorating because they all wanted 5,000 euros each.

Wow!
That’s France.
The supermarkets closed the clothing aisles but bookstores can open.
That’s France. There’s good and there’s crazy.

1 Like

Perhaps that’s because the French prefer to buy well-made clothes that last, and read voraciously…

2 Likes

I’m all in favour of bookstores. My life is books. But not all French people can afford well-made clothes and some people find the local clothing drought a bit inconvenient.

Depends - Leclerc clothing aisles closed. Gamm Vert clothing section open. Mind you, you might not want to wear Gamm Vert clothes or pay Gamm Vert prices. But they are there to buy, in an emergency.

1 Like

But all you need to do is go to the accueil, and say exactly what you want to buy. And they ring it up and fetch it for you. Because then it’s a retrait d’un commande!

That’s what seems to be happening in our supermarkets with the non-essential goods. There is even a small sign telling people to do this!

Ah, didn’t know that, never saw a sign. Useful to know.

Yeah, I love looking at Gamm Vert stuff but can’t afford it!

How to get round the rules and totally avoid the idea that it is protecting smaller businesses.

1 Like

Rural Master are purveyors of fine clothing, but for the really swish clobber, you need to visit Comagri.