Is solar power financially viable?

yes …

1 Like

It depends on how long you live in the property in our last home we spent 5,000 euros on a new gas boiler 12 months later sold the house and ended up with another crap boiler

2 Likes

Would you have got less for the house with an old boiler left behind. Solar helps with house pricing making it more attractive to buyers these days.

1 Like

I doubt it I know now it is all down to location rather than the property do you own them or lease them it is always a big outlay

1 Like

I guess with a solar system you could simply take it with you when you leave, if you wanted to.

1 Like

Yes, a water heater dump load would be very useful. I’m not sure which one to chose yet.

I upgraded our inverter last week, so that we can power more juicy appliances which means a water heater is now achievable. We only had 1200watts now we have 3k.

I was reading about sand batteries but don’t understand yet, how a sand battery reaches higher temperatures than the water flowing through it. In my head, it isn’t possible because once the sand reaches 100°c, the water will act as a coolant inside the battery, rather than a heat source. I guess it’s some sort of chemical reaction rather than just the simple heat exchange that my brain recognises.

Yes, although it would be preferable to leave it in place and get the real value of it in the sale. That would save everyone some carbon, pollution etc… and lots of money and time.

I will take mine with me if the buyer is not willing to pay the proper value of it. If I can afford to hold out, it won’t even be negotiable.

I’m off grid so all batteries. I’m looking at water for storing excess, but where we are, we have no wind and our river is too slow flowing, so in winter, especially this year, we have to use a small generator when it’s too cloudy.
I will eventually be using a biogas or a biodiesel one but for the moment it is unfortunately petrol due to financial constraints.

There’s some very good news about solar though, which is that with a new generation of water cooled panels, or a retrofit, you can increase the efficiency by up to 90%!!!
I’m keeping an eye on this new tech for sure

I get a lot of my info from this channel

:earth_americas::green_heart:

1 Like

Yes the efficiency drops quite drastically in hot sun so from 18-20% conversion to as low as 12%. An increase of 90% at the top end means 38% conversion which will help. There were some hybrid evacuated tube types around that heater water and produced electricity but do not seem to hit the mainstream.

Well, today decided to splash out on a far larger Bluetti power generator, nearly 8x the size of the smaller unit I recently purchased. The logic being that, as and when I finally get the van to turn into a ‘modular build’ camper, I can also use the unit in that for power.

So the plan’s changed a little now, after better understanding my actual needs, as what I’m now planning to do is to purchase the solar panels and associated kit, without batteries, certainly initially, and use the new Bluetti as a battery while I’m at the house.

So to use the Bluetti on specific circuits that I may use more in the evening, I wanted to fit a transfer switch to connect specific circuits in the house to e.g. fridge, induction unit, microwave, tv……… The intent would be to have these powered by the Bluetti, but also allow me to switch to the grid power if necessary. I’ve been looking for transfer switches and must say, a little confused by the choice, so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations that I could take a look at???

Of course we have. I have one of these.

Available via Moes website or Amazon

1 Like

That looks very interesting. I saw many youtube videos with boxes with multiple switches where you actually wired in individual circuits, as I didn’t want to wire in the whole house.

One thing that’s worth mentioning is the impact of Tempo tariffs. In some ways it will push pay back times on solar given you pay less per unit in general - especially when solars most productive.

But it does change the maths when it comes to excess production. You can now sell at a slightly higher price than you pay for blue days. There are costs for the companies who buy from self installed kits but the maths are different so things like batteries and routers are arguably less viable. I’m recalculating again…