Is the French climate all it's cracked up to be? How much has it changed in recent decades?

I have been in Brittany for 15 years, and have noticed in the last probably 3 to 4 years how much wetter the winters are and how much hotter the summers. However since I come from Tavistock in the UK where King Charles the second is reported to have said “if there’s one thing that is certain in life, it is that it’s raining in Tavistock”, i’m quite used to the rain. However it would be nice if it was a bit drier!

1 Like

1st proper snow I have seen here in 5 years last night, shop keeper asked how we ever manage to cope with this in Scotland all the time :relaxed:

Sat and watched the French trying to tiptoe around the place, 1 st gear and reving the nuts out of the engine to try and get moving around and pulled two of them out of the carpark with a strap where they had got stuck, it’s only 3" deep as well.
Then drove past them all in a 300bhp, automatic, rwd 2.5 tonne mpv :yum:.

Depends where you are - all my cousins in the Pyrénées zoom around in the snow in their various vehicles with no fuss, no chains etc, while some visitors slither about and fall off the road.

2 Likes

Asked the postwoman how it was this morning, fine apart from the imbasiles on the roads, she wished they would just stay at home.

1 Like

Presumably in Pyrenees they have snow tyres…

We have gîte guests coming at weekend who have said they have no snow tyres…it will interesting to see if they get here. We have suggested that they at least get chains.

No snowfall here in North Correze despite our altitude…just more rain…there’s a surprise!!

This winter at our rental house at 480 metres has been a series of near misses for snowfall. We had about 1cm on Christmas Day and a few overnight top ups and then a spell of clear, high pressure with cold nights. Since early January it has been too wet and mild for snow.
hovering around 2-3 degrees in the daytime ocassionally warmer… Higher up on the Plateau at above 750 metres they have had about 60-80cm of snow in various falls since Christmas. Once we have renovated we will be living up at 810 metres so at least the winters will be more bearable and not constant rain.

Beautiful sunny day here in Shrewsbury

5 Likes

Nice part of the world. We haven’t had a sunny day here in North Correze for over four weeks now!! Grey/rain/grey/rain…rinse repeat!

After weeks, it feels, of rain today is sunny with bright blue sky ! So much that now I’ve finished work and back from my teaching I think I’ll go and have a couple of hours in the garden!

3 Likes

It’s been snowing here the last few days (Burgundy).

Just a lot of rain here in Saone et Loire. I think you are further north?

Yes in Yonne near to la Niévre (Vezelay).
Parc naturel régional du morvan

1 Like

Tory you could have came and done some gardening here today if you had wanted to, you might have needed a pickaxe and pinch bar though as it never went above -3C :laughing:

Same here in the shadow of the Sancy. The lowlanders (e. g. from Clermont) frequently tend to have little, to no, snow driving experience and it shows. Those that live higher up cope with it every year as if it were a minor irritation.

Oh but Colin you had snow :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: As it turned out I realised I hadn’t taken down the last of my foliage decorations on the barn doors (how embarrassing, I always get really cross seeing Christmas decos up after about the 6th of January!!). By the time I did that I realised I needed to get a shift on and get some forms filled in and pick up the little one from holiday club before I got arrested for being out after curfew :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . I then got ‘locked in’ to the epicerie as with the queue it had hit 6 so she locked us in :rofl: :rofl: Snuck home safely over the back hill avoiding our village with the gendarmes :rofl:

You know how to live dangerously, living on the edge :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::sunglasses:

Hahaha mine usually come down in time for Easter :grin:

1 Like

It’s a French thing. In our village, as elsewhere, some people leave them up all year and just turn them on for Christmas. Maybe they are the bright ones.

when we were house hunting in the Charente
in late '90s we sat on a beach near Royan in swimming trunks and costumes in November. Like a lot of the rest of the world after 2000 the weather became different and more erratic.

1 Like

Finally got out into the garden today!! We almost had a dry day!! Spits and spots of rain as we were packing up around 5pm but other wise dry and grey about 5 degrees. Torrential monsoon weather again tomorrow!! Normal service resumed. If any one sees the sun can you send it to North Correze please!!