Is there a French substitute for Roses Lime Juice?

The price of Roses Lime Juice has risen dramatically, I’m told it was due to a fire at the factory where the cordial is produced. For health reasons, I like to drink a fair amount of plain water but I prefer it with some flavour, hence Roses Lime Juice which makes water more attractive. I’m not looking specifically for a lime flavour but all the French ‘cordials’ I have seen either are fizzy or are sirops with enormous amounts of sugar. Has anyone come across a cordial to dilute which is fairly sugar-free and non-fizzy? I’d be very grateful for your thoughts. Many thanks.

1 Like

Just a thought could you squeeze some limes into ice cube trays?

2 Likes

Maybe try Pulco’s Citron Vert. It’s just concentrated lime juice so almost no suger.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Pulco lemon is excellent stuff - it keeps us going through the summer. I do prefer the ready mixed to the cordial.

1 Like

We freeze it in an ice cube tray and hubby adds it to his beer/whisky combination to make a “cocktail” and keep his drink cold.

1 Like

Oh, thanks. I’ll give it a try. I just hope it isn’t like that PLJ stuff my mum used to drink as a ‘slimming aid’!

Make your own…link here. If you want it less sweet use less sugar but be aware it won’t keep as long.

I keep my cordials in the fridge, currently on reine claude.

1 Like

That’s very kind of you, Jane. Thank you. It seems, though, a lot of trouble to go through! I’m not looking solely for a lime based drink. Anything will do that I can dilute!

I try to drink a litre to 1.5 litres of water a day (along with cappuccinos in the day and an occasional glass of wine or a bottle of beer late evening…!)

A few months back there was an offer on a lemon and lime flavoured water so I bought it until the offer was withdrawn…

I’ve since been buying the pulco cordials both lemon and lime and adding a splash of each…just enough to mimic the flavoured waters…really nice and the pulco cordials last me ages…x :slight_smile:

Beer whiskey and lime cocktail…that sounds really nice actually…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

He loves it. It’s his favourite drink. A shot (or 2) of good whisky, a bottle of Leffe and a couple of lemon ice cubes. He also adds a drop of ginger syrup if I’ve made some.

1 Like

Thinking I’m gonna have to buy a bottle of whiskey on my next shopping trip…! I’ve got the pulco…I’ve usually got a beer…My dad used to enjoy a wee dram of glenfidditch now and again…(My mom used to get tiddly on a small glass of baileys at Xmas…)

…Ginger syrup…??? Is that easy to make…??? x :slight_smile:

Yes it’s really easy. You just need sugar, water, fresh ginger and lemons. I usually make a lot so 1 litre of water, 1kg of sugar, 400g ginger (peeled and chopped small), 3 lemons (juice and peel). Just put it all in a big pan and heat slowly to dissolve the sugar then cook on a very low heat for about an hour. Don’t let it boil otherwise you will burn the sugar. Test the strength. If you want it stronger then whizz everything carefully with a stick blender and leave for a few hours (overnight) to infuse. Strain and bottle. With all that sugar it will keep at an ambient temperature. Save the ginger and use it to cook with.

Great in hubby’s favourite cocktail but also good for cooking or just adding to water as a cordial.

1 Like