Is this an orchid? If so, which one?

We are rewilding our field and this has appeared. Not seen one elsewhere in the garden. I’m assuming it’s an orchid, but not one I recognise. Any suggestions please.

2 Likes

I think it’s a serapias but not sure which one (an orchid).

Thanks Jane - spot on. As you say, which one though? I’ll photograph it again when it’s fully open and post to Google lens and see what they come up with.

First time I’ve come across this, so thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

Google Lens, what blasphemy! :scream: 40 year + learning botany and replaced by Google…

My money is on S. vomeracea based on my 40 year old french orchid distribution book

6 Likes

I’d give you two likes if I could. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pay it forward by liking her next post? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I was thinking that Rishi Sunak has a positive side I should do a post about?

3 Likes

Why not, if you wish to? He’s not a bad man, just not a very good politician.

But doesn’t that make him a bad man? He is surely intelligent enough to have enough self-analysis to realise he is not cut out to be prime minister of a country in need of leadership and direction. So a good man would accept the job is not for him and go elsewhere.

perhaps he felt that there was a risk of someone really awful getting the job… if he declined… so he decided he would do his best… until someone really excellent turned up…

I don’t think he’s “bad” in terms of morality (as far as we know) - I think he has risen to the top job “defaute de mieux” - all politicians think they would be a good Prime Minister and without ambition you would not become an MP.

He has proven to be a poor judge of public policy (e.g. Rwanda, which he opposed as Chancellor) and too willing to appease the nut-jobs in his party - and yes too selfish not to realise that enough is enough and he should call an election. But as a Tory I’m sure he believes that letting the Other Lot take power sooner than he has to would be the ultimate political crime.

Braverman, Patel or Jenrick would be crueller and more vindictive if they were PM so on that scale he’s less bad.

1 Like

Yes, an orchid. Whole field of them near me

Serapias? Or another orchid?

Serapias all. A very small field, not sprayed, about 6 rolls taken for hay, so they are cut every year, and always come back. I don’t think the owner of the field even knows what they are!

2 Likes