It seems Kinnock was prescient

https://twitter.com/i/status/1620161951933374477

1 Like

He fucked it all up by falling over in the sea​:astonished::rofl::rofl:

I think it was the gesticulation to the paps that didnt do any favors. If he had just laughed it would have all been forgotten mind you it shows he wasnt for turning, when he should have done :joy:

1 Like

And it seems Labour played a blinder in 2019 by playing the long game and not falling for the Tories’ devious plan :rofl:

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/1698579613188759559

1 Like

Proper speech-writing.

Yes, it turned out that Jeremy Corbyn was â€‰unelectable after all - which should have surprised no one.

My worry in some ways is that Labour will not merely win but win a landslide and not have a plan that comes close to being able to fix everything that the Tories have wrecked - especially as Starmer seems to be positioning the party as the “continuity Tory Party”.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the idea that a period of competent (and therefore dull) management of the country is needed, and Starmer is miles ahead of any Tory politician in terms of competency - but I’m not clear he is up to the job given some of the things he’s said - e.g. WRT Brexit, or continued austerity.

Yes this is a little worrying - but I am hoping he is in full-on Baldrick Mode (i.e. has a Cunning Plan) ready to come off the Brexit fence as soon as Labour get back in. No point in alienating the folks who usually vote Labour but who are still labouring (pun intended) under the delusion that Brexit was a good idea…

But we shall see which it is!

3 Likes

Jezza was well worth the ÂŁ3 in entertainment value alone.

Almost as funny as The Wrong Milliband trying and failing to eat that bacon sarnie.

1 Like

If he fell in now he’d be covered in raw sewage from the privatised water companies.

We all know how Baldrick’s cunning plans worked out @ChrisMann :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

This puts Starmer in a tricky position - he sells himself on his probity and integrity, which gives him two choices - either a) stick to what he has said, which will lead to some disastrous policies (Brexit cannot “work”) or b) he will have to pivot revealing that he just took those positions to get elected - in which case the argument that they are all as bad as each other starts to stick.

1 Like

Ah but Baldrick’s were fine. :laughing: If only Blackadder had given him the chance to try them out…

2 Likes

Odd that one grew legs and, say, Sunak’s inability to fill a car with petrol didn’t in quite the same way. WTF was he doing eating a bacon sarnie anyway - he’s Jewish FFS (albeit non practising IIRC).

Beef “bacon” is quite popular in European style hotels in some Muslim countries. Strips of beef that look like a rasher. You can have a full English breakfast in Riyadh, just with ersatz bacon. It’s disgusting BTW.

Of course, thinking about it, it isn’t odd at all given the huge RW bias in UK media.

Indeed. I’m far from a fan of Diane Abbott but she got slated by the press for drinking a can of M&S mojito on a train, whereas shortly afterwards Michael Gove admitted to having snorted coke on multiple occasions and apparently nobody cared.

I’m not sure whether the press didn’t react with equal indignation because Gove is a) male, b) white, c) a Tory, or d) all of the above.

1 Like

d)

1 Like

I agree.

I’ll take this opportunity to repeat my wished for outcome of the next UK GE…

A minority Labour government (hung parliament) that has to make deals with all the non-right wing parties in order to govern. Maybe a coalition, but that infers a whipping arrangement.

The only purpose of that administration would be to introduce a properly democratic system of voting (proportional representation), scrap the House of Lords & create an elected second chamber.

Despite all the moaning that will ensure the electorate will eventually realise that finally their vote counts for as much in a Tory heartland as it does in a Welsh valley.

If a PR system means that there is an odd UKIP/Monster Raving Looney/Communist MP in the house then that’s only fair & proportional - they won’t have much influence, but at least they can’t moan about not being represented.

3 Likes

Could work.

Not going to happen as long as the present labour front row are in.

I doubt that very much

Now that would fair and proportional.

I wonder if you remember who beat Corbyn?

Why would you need an elected second chamber, when you’ve already got an elected first chamber?

1 Like