It turns out I bought a bit of local history

Interesting discovery - my (Scottish) neighbours invited me over for a beer on the evening of their departure (our visits almost never coincide) - turned out that several of their French friends from the village were also there (as an aside 95% of the conversation was in French; some flew over my head including the start of the conversation on the subject of the history of my house but I was fairly chuffed that I managed to interact, hope I didn’t mangle their mother tongue too much).

I had noticed the cross above the front door but never given it much thought - after all France is a pretty Catholic place and there are crucifixes everywhere.

Turns out the house used to be the presbytery - I even spotted an old photo of the house on the commune website which I’d not previously realised was there - though, as far as we are aware, the house was built in 1956, not 1966 claimed by the accompanying caption.

Not sure when this was taken - possibly the 70’s or 80’s as the house is looking a bit “tired” - the door even opens the other way now (which is “wrong” as the light switches are behind the door as it swings open).

I see weeds on the gravel are not a new problem here…

6 Likes

How lovely… keep all the photos and the blurb and your notes…

Dates are often incorrect… but history is forever…

I’ve got all sorts of clippings thrust on me by welcoming locals… it’s a lovely feeling when folk make such an effort to welcome us into their midst.

3 Likes

I guess it’s only taken me 5 and a bit years to find out - in fact it is the first time I have actually sat down and had a drink with the locals (and then only courtesy of the neighbours) - I’m glad I did though.

A combination of not being super-outgoing, not having French that allows easy casual conversation and only being here 5 weeks a year means getting to know people is a slow process.

2 Likes

We were lucky in that our next door neighbour - now about 70 I guess - was actually born in our house, so we have a pretty good idea of its recent history. He has also told us many stories of earlier, less certain providence - murder in the house during the revolution (the 1789 one), etc.
But to me the most intriguing historical features are the massive carved stones supporting each side of 2 fireplaces - which are identical not mirror images, as you would expect. I’m sure these have been in place since the house was built - about 500 years ago - but were opportunistically re-used from some even older building. I like to fantasize that they are very old - Roman is a possibility, given out location.

It’s odd - I can completely sympathise with the idea that this was a “house of god” - the place has a quality that is difficult to pin down, tranquil and calm, a “rightness” to it that I struggle to find words to describe.

I say this as an atheist and sceptic and if I believed in Feng Shui, I’d say this place has it in buckets.

Feng Shui means wind (and) water, two elelemental components of this ancient lore, so buckets in the right position) are likely to be useful. :wind_face::droplet:

If you can’t channel your own Chi (I bet you can if you put yourself to it) your family is bound to include an adept. Most families do, just ask them. :hugs:

My Chi is fine Peter, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not just trust your instincts and not try to reason?

1 Like

Peter, you do not channel your own chi, you channel from the Universal energy , Reiki and all other energy medicine treatments.
Never let anyone pass on their own energy to you it can be very dangerous.

1 Like