I've been a good boy, Santa.... honest!

Bought this in the summer. Restoring it is keeping me sane. Most of chassis structure now done, just body panels ,interior and mechanics to do!

3 Likes

I had a MkI CX GTI in the early 90s, and would love another, but it’s probably not going to happen.

You never know!
I spent a few hours a couple of weeks ago fitting a new nylon bush in the gear linkage on one.
Next job on it is front flexible brake hoses & hand brake pads when it comes back from the uphosterers.
Not mine, thank goodness, but I can see the appeal.

2 Likes

My last project a 1936 Standard 12HP that i bought from a farmer it had been in his barn for years a one owner and he had the logbook, i sold it unfinished because i bought a property in France for our retirement, it has a Mopar 360cu V8

1 Like

You should have come to the Retro Garage in Riscle (Gers). JC ships in old US cars and immaculately restores them. Far less hassle for you! (BTW, the American banks are centuries behind Europe. No, they don’t know what an IBAN is - they never seem to expect to ship money outside their own continent!)

Surely Julia, they all LIKE the hassle. :grin:

OH has spent 10 glorious years rebuilding his pride and joy… keeps him out of mischief.

3 Likes

A part of the point is that it’s your work, and buying one already restored would not be the same.

1 Like

I probably would have agreed with you when I was sat in the U.K., then I came to France and realised just how bad things could be within European banking. :laughing: Italy isn’t much different either, nor Spain. The best of US fintech is up there with the U.K., whereas although the best of European fintech was, I’m not sure that’s true now. Although this is clearly a tangent off topic from the wonderful cars.

1 Like

I’m actually a garagiste myself & as such have registered quite a few imports.
This is the first time I am importing my own vehicle from the States, start to finish, so the experience will be useful.
A friend offered a bit of advice concerning doing business there but his experience was about 30 years out of date & based on buying a Douglas A26 Invader for restoration. The import & transport logistics were therefore not really comparable!
a26-18a

1 Like

I don’t know Mark, they will have about the same thirst :laughing:

1 Like

We are used to that.
Our military vehicle club goes to Bethune every year & one time I rode with my friend in his M26 Pacific.
Fuel consumption to the US gallon? 1. That works out to 425 metres to a litre.
These are nicknamed the “Dragon Wagon”. On the overrun (going down the Jubilee Way to Dover docks) the exhaust stack produced a very impressive flame in the dawn’s early light that lit up the surroundings very well!3x M26 Pacific Dragon Wagon!!!!!!! War & Peace Show 2010 - YouTube

Sounds like an interesting project Stella, what is it?
No pictures required without the owners permission :grin::oncoming_automobile:

It’s a 1925 wooden frame torpedo…

Went through some dubious but presumably useful alterations during WW2 and is now being taken back to its roots.

1 Like

M35 gun truck with 2 M134’s and a couple of M50’s. That’ll sort the weeners out.

Citroen B2 or Hispano Suiza??

Like this? :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly :wink: :joy:

Not entirely built for style, were they? Did the business though, in heavy haulage. :wink:

In the 1980’s I owned a black ford popular ‘sit up and beg’ from the early 1950’s which was great fun.
I can still smell the leather seats! We had 3 children who had plenty of room in the back seat. Then number 4 came along so the pop had to go. I then bought a 1 seater Fairthorpe, a kit car based on a triumph herald chassis and running gear. Managed to find a triumph vitesse and used many of its bits and pieces.
Going back further this is my grandfather in the 1920’s proudly stood behind his delivery van.

1 Like