I've been a good boy, Santa.... honest!

Where are you in France ? I have 3 Classics just managed to navigate all the systems FFVE ANTS and now have shiny black Fr plates.

That message was to Mark but interested in meeting any other “classic petrol heads” within Normandy region , we are near Falaise.

Much further south - 100kms north of Bordeaux.

My Christmas present to myself has started its journey from Colorado today. Fortunately it is in a covered trailer for its journey to New Jersey. Not sure how long it will be before it arrives at Le Havre but hopefully it won’t be too stormy in the Atlantic.
I will be like a kid with a new toy, but taller.
IMG_3490

IMG_3479

3 Likes

Isn’t that the same sort of car as Bonnie & Clyde had?

They had a 1934 Ford V8.

I did look seriously at a 1934 Pontiac though!

1 Like

What a beast!
I can imagine your excitement.
When it arrives at La Havre will you have to trailer it home too?

Fortunately I paid the extra to have it delivered to my door. I did not fancy towing a heavily loaded trailer all the way from Le Havre in inclement weather - I would hate to think what would happen if it started to swing.
These things can go bad very quickly!

Precisely why I would have done it myself, I don’t trust anybody, and certainly not that outrageously long centre-axle trailer towed by a 4x4 in Colorado. I hope they have some weights in the back of the pickup. If I couldn’t do it myself I would have been happier with an hgv car carrier.
I hope I am not being too gloomy and it all works out fine for you. :smiley:

Unfortunately I am not in a position to go to Colorado to do this myself (nor would I want to) so rely on a company called West Coast Shipping who are fully insured. I think they sub-contract the towing, hopefully not to an idiot but I do get your point about the rig!

I have just had notification that the car has arrived safely at the port in New Jersey.
So far so good…

3 Likes

Update.
The car should soon be loaded & the ship leaves New York on Sunday.
In the meantime, some parts I have ordered have now arrived. The most interesting item is the reprinted owner’s handbook.

10 Likes

The ship was due in New York on 23rd of January but there are long delays in many ports at the moment.
Not that I am too concerned but I have noticed (in passing, you understand) that at last the ship (MV Cape Pioneer) has finally docked at 09.58 UTC.

The ship is due to leave tomorrow & arrive at Le Havre on 22nd.
I might idly trace the container & keep an eye on the weather, you know, when I have nothing better to do…

7 Likes

That is so cool, I bet you can’t wait!

1 Like

Not that I’m in any way impatient, but I happened to be idly looking at a web site & noticed that the ship with my car on board has left New York but is now docked in Philadelphia.
I was hoping that it would be mid Atlantic by now!

1 Like

When using old cars it’s always best to take the scenic route, adds more fun and pleasure to the journey.

1 Like

Now on its way to Southampton, then Le Havre.

6 Likes

Must admit, I’m beginning to get excited too… and it’s nothing to do with me… :rofl: :rofl:

Update!
I might just have been following the progress of the MV Cape Pioneer as it crossed the Atlantic & idly looking at the weather in the area too, as I was wondering if the container the Buick was in might become one of a surprising number of those that “fall off”.
not this time.

The good news is that there seemed to have been a corridor of calm weather that the captain managed to stay in for most of the crossing, although for much of the time the ship was keeping the speed down (11.3 knots) to stay in the calm bit.

Anyway, the ship is now waiting to unload a few containers of chlorinated chicken or whatever at Southampton before proceeding to Le Havre with its more important cargo & today the French company handling the Customs clearance & final delivery to me have sent me an email informing me that the ship should arrive on the 27th although this is not set in stone.

Either way it won’t be too long - “Come to Papa”!
IMG_2608

10 Likes

Latest!
The MV Cape Pioneer arrived in Le Havre yesterday morning & has unloaded the French containers! It is at this moment being guided out of the port by the tugs Gasgogne & Barfleur.
The shipping agent has been in touch for a mandate & other documents from me & will send me a bill for clearance & getting the 846a from Douanes. They are also handling delivery to me in the Charente.
They have not yet given me an ETA so I will hang fire on the sherry & mince pies.
Not sure how Santa will get the thing down the chimney without scratching it.

13 Likes