Jack Shepherd. Is he guilty?

Inland waters are different but maritime law does not have strong ties to the EU.

There’s seriously no license requirement in the UK to drive a speedboat?

Oh my…

I’m not a Brit >.> I snuck in when nobody was looking…

7 Likes

@benvanstaveren “snuck in” merits Limey life membership and probably a leg-up for an :uk: OBE :joy:

2 Likes

I’m sure that he will enjoy reading that when he’s allowed back in three months time.

I should jolly well think so. Good riddance :relaxed:

2 Likes

Actually SFN was set up for english speaking people in France, but I love your attitude.
Welcome.

1 Like

I just watched Shepard on TV and he seems very credible to me. Sharons’s Dad seems to be very aggressively trying to assuage his grief by screwing Shepard. She was driving, she was 24, an adult. This was two drunken idiots messing around in a boat which ended in tragedy. That’s life.

1 Like

Oh I think of sailing in general as a sport. I agree entirely that qualifications are vital but I’ve only my crew/guests to worry about and I am and have always been scrupulous. One can only do one’s best :slight_smile:

I’ve been reflecting on this. What about the person who sold him, an unqualified person, the boat? Where does culpability begin and end? IMO this is stitch up. Especially since her father, ( a screw as they say) has had access to the home office. I’m beginning to feel sorry for Shepard.

Morning John… you raise an interesting question…

Many years ago, there was a case in America… Insurance companies fighting things out…

Someone was killed by a stolen rental car… and the bottom line was… if the Factory had not built the car none of what happened… would have happened… :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

I was so astounded, that I have never forgotten it…

I therefore assume that if it had been your daughter you’d have just said to Shepherd ‘don’t worry mate these things happen’.

2 Likes

I don’t feel sorry for Shepherd. The kill cord on the boat was disconnected and the steering was faulty, also the life jackets were not easily accessible. If I didn’t ensure passengers in my car were wearing seat belts I would be responsible. He was no better than a teenage joy rider in a powerful car.
Yes she was driving but he should have made her wear a life jacket and he was responsible for the safety of the boat.

2 Likes

The trouble is Tim, they do. People do silly things to impress, what makes this any different? Even the statistics for deaths on the coast in the U.K. are not what they seem, more people die falling off cliffs than in any other way.

Far more people die each year because of the drunken exploits of themselves and others yet this incident has been singled out and sensationalised. It was an accident, a tragic accident. In my opinion his real crimes are not attending the court and fleeing the country.

Who is Sharron

1 Like

Thing is this was a accident waiting to happen, the guy had taken countless women on his poorly maintained speedboat in order to impress/show off and he had been warned previously by the river police about speeding. Regardless of who actually had their hands on the wheel he was ultimately responsible for both his and the young woman’s safety, ffs they weren’t even wearing life jackets. I do think that this story has stayed in the headlines purely because Shepherd had shown no remorse and refused to accept any responsibility for what happened. I have only loathing for the coward, had he faced up to his culpability initially then he might have received a lighter sentence or even been spared prison at all.

5 Likes

There is no denying he is a fool.

Just because her father is a prison officer ( I assume that’s what you mean) it doesn’t mean that he has access to anything special in the Home Office
I have to say I love the cries of stitch up and cover up when cases are being played out in the full glare of social and mainstream media

1 Like

Absolutely Stella. I remember hearing a story, probably apocryphal, on a trip to Saudi where a taxi killed someone and the passenger was prosecuted because if he hadn’t hired the taxi then it wouldn’t have been where it was.

Interesting he has had access to the Home Office though, isn’t it? Interesting that there’s so much publicity and interesting that the BBC is calling him a “killer”. She was driving, if he had drowned she’s be the one in the dock. It is iffy IMO.