1 Like

Oh my
 she sang “our song”
 so named as it was on all the jukeboxes and radios
 when we youngsters headed across the Channel on our honeymoon
 :two_hearts:

R.I.P.

1 Like

They played J’taime on radio 2 the other week and laughed how it was going to corrupt the nation so the BBC banned it.:joy:
Oh the irony.

what plonkers they are 
 :sob:

3 Likes

Very sad, she and her family in various forms were good friends of my parents.

4 Likes

Not my choice in musical terms but she has outlasted many others who just disappeared after a few years. I had never heard of her until I came to live in France and read about her.

1 Like

What’s interesting is that her death is all over French news, and comparatively very minimal cover in UK

1 Like

As I said, had never heard of her when living in the UK, like Johnny, its a french thing and love affair for many who grew up in that generation which is a bit before me.

I thought there might be a farewell thread - Birkin was superb, perhaps the most famous or best immigrant to ‘survive France’? I salute her! And saddened.

I thought she was famous in the UK too - we all knew that song, a thousand sensual reminisces from our teenage years
 and beyond
 The Vatican heavily criticised the song, so there you go, it must be good.

I read the ob. in the Guardian yesterday which paid good tribute and reminded us of her great works, music and film, not just ‘the song’.

I wonder how many covers of ‘the song’ there are?

It was all over the BBC homepage, and is still on the ‘world’ news page now.

She was only relatively briefly a star in Britain, and by the time I was old enough to notice in the 1970s, had already faded from view. Perhaps it was combining acting with singing, French songs never getting much traction in th UK except for novelty value/sexiness.

For a long time after my arrival in France(in common with a lot of other English women in France at the time I suspect) I was told I had Jane Birkin’s English accent or even worse that I was trying to make my accent like hers)I had only vaguely heard of her at the time but when I saw an interview with her(when she was still young)replayed on French TV I was shocked at how good her French was(well to me anyway)and I can usually detect English accents from my compatriots. I think she may have exagerated the accent a tad.
My accent remains stubbornly Anglo Saxon .

1 Like

It’s curious isn’t it, accent. I do agree about the exaggeration, eg Charlotte Rampling’s French accent is much better.

1 Like

Seems very young to have gone.

I’ve noticed that our English friends’ regional accents come through when they speak French, likewise our many Dutch friends. A long time ago I had a Marseillaise friend who told me that when the English speak in French they sound like their mouths are full of that ‘horrible mashed potato’.

So, God only knows what my mongrel English accent sounds like to the French. Often when I order from a butcher on the market, whom I’ve been using for eleven years, he’ll do that funny little puzzled facial gesture where they twist their mouth and raise one eyebrow above the other, which usually means I have to say exactly the same thing again, but this time pronouncing the last letter on each word in order to be understood in Occitanie. Maybe he’s just winding me up!

<< Je voudrais des rillettes SVP. >>
Silence

Second attempt

<<Des rillé-tez >>
<<Ah! >>

Meanwhile my wife, whose French conversation is far ahead of mine (unlike in writing he added stubbornly) has two wholly different conversational personalities according to whether she’s on the phone in Afrikaans or French. On French phone calls, she’s very chatty to people she often barely knows and throws in all sorts of phrases and idioms that I think are suspect, whereas in Afrikaans she slips in and out of Afrikaans into English slang and back again in virtually every sentence.

One thing’s for sure, neither of us are ever likely to be taken for native French speakers, or even French writers. I’ve written a few exhibition catalogue essays in French and am well aware that stylistically they’re very different to anything local that I’ve read.

1 Like