Jobseeker allowance in France and in the UK

My french friend is considering a job offer in the UK. However, the concern is that if she gets the job, but doesn’t get through the probation period of 4 months, she’ll have to go back to France and will not have any jobseeker allowance neither will have any right to apply for that in the UK.
Is this correct and are there any ways she can protect herself/do something before she engages ?
Any advice will be very much appreciated
Thank you

The jobseeker allowance is based on your past national insurance contributions. After 4 months I think it unlikely that one would qualify - and even if that was possible would probably be hardly enough to buy a cup of tea. The full JSA with full contributions is minuscule anyway, so a pro-rata amount would be pitiable.

As a worker on a visa I don’t think he/she would qualify for universal credit either.

As for France if the person has only left for 4 months are they still not entitled?

I think she’ll find that the UK will give her absolutely nothing if she’s only been in the country for 4 months - I don’t think entitlement to benefits kicks in until you have “settled status” i.e. after 5 years!

EU citizens and their family members arriving either
as Short Term Visitors or as Long Term Visa holders
after 1 January 2021, are subject to a condition of
‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) and cannot
therefore access most benefits. They may
be able to seek help, including financial support or
housing, from their local authority.

More info here:

There’s also the shiny new points-based UK work visa system to surmount - she needs to check that her prospective employer is doing the paperwork for that correctly and that she qualifies in terms of salary etc.

Pardon my suspicious nature, but she should be wary that the “employer” is not expecting her to come over as a visitor (which she can do for six months) and work for them during that time, so that they can avoid doing the visa paperwork until they have decided whether to keep her on or not. That would be illegal and could get her deported.

Her best bet would probably be to come back to France if she won’t have the means to support herself (and pay for NHS cover) if the job doesn’t work out.

I don’t know what the French rules are regarding returning home but hopefully someone else will chip in on that.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply.
If the job was in France then being made redundant during the probation period, would be treated as an involuntary loss of job and therefore she would be eligible for the support.
However it’s highly unlikely indeed that returning home after being made redundant abroad would be considered.
Is there is anything that can be done (unemployment insurance? propose additional conditions to the contract etc?) so that she doesn’t miss this good career opportunity, but also doesn’t get herself into trouble if things don’t go well?

Sometimes you just have to take risks, and going for a job abroad, especially where your home country’s rules don’t apply, is one of those times.

2 Likes

Thank you for the link and a reference to the new points-based visa system.
She is skilled and that company has lawyers who will handle her work visa, but it’s better to double-check everything indeed

If this is tier 2 skilled worker visa then she can change her employer, so can look for another job in the UK.

Not passing one’s probationary period is not the same as being made redundant so I doubt most income protection policies would cover this. You could have a look at some policies to see. The money might be better used in a savings account!

I find it a bit odd to start a now job with the mind-set that it might all go wrong? Perhaps go and discuss with her local pole emploi as to whether she would be making herself ineligible, as if she has a previous solid employment history that may override tge gap.

Always make sure when taking a risk in another country that there is the BFH.

Bus fare home.

Thanks to everyone, who replied with links and practical information. Appreciate it