Juliet balcony regs

Does anyone know if there are any specific regs relating to newly installed Juliet balconies? In the UK there’s apparently a minimum height of 1100mm. If I have to adopt that height in my French house, it’ll be more like prison bars than a balcony, as the opening is only 1325mm.

Yes, there will be safety rules…

Have you consulted your Mairie…??? they usually know everything, since as landlords of council properties everything must be 100% aux normes.

discuss the whole project with them…

If they can’t tell you, they’ll point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Google offers this…

https://www.travaux.com/fenetre-porte/guide-des-prix/garde-corps-legislation

Thanks Stella
Unfortunately Im in the UK and I need to order this to bring out with me next year. I wont get to speak to the Mairie until I get there. The info on google looks good though. Thanks for that

Interesting - our Juliet balcony is nowhere near 1m tall - but as it is only about 60cm above the outside ground level I am not too bothered about bringing it into line with the normes (I’ll bet they would still apply if it were a new construction and not 64 years old).

According to google, it only applies if you can fall more than a metre. As this is for, what was an upstairs hatch, it apparently has to be a minimum of a metre in height

For rental properties… and anywhere “receiving the public”… I’m fairly certain there will be rules in place.

For you and I… in our own homes… who knows… except that if there is an accident, the whole situation will be checked… especially if Insurance comes into the equation…

Doesn’t have to be like prison bars though.

Delightful curved iron… can make something beautiful to behold… and keep folk safe.

Is that essential? There are plenty of suppliers of balcony railing here in France and they are more likely to blend in with local styles…

1 Like

You could always read the rules for yourself

click on reglementation at the top of the page

1 Like

Ive seen one I really like, in the UK. Ill have to do some research yo see if I can afford to buy one in France. Google here I come. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like