June Spencer aka Peggy Archer (Woolley)

As I understand it the BBC will still offer free licences to the over 75’s on low incomes. Which seems entirely fine to me. If you can afford it then why should older people be treated any differently from others? And many pensioners probably have more disposable income than many younger people these days.

Having spent time in other countries I feel that the BBC remains head and shoulders above other public service broadcasters, and is worth conserving and not pushing it down the commercial route. It also reflects really well on the UK.

Probably about the only thing that does at the moment

1 Like

Except for news programmes that feature the clown collection that is the UK government…

The problem is that people always fall through the cracks. Why can’t the BBC just scrap the free license for those reaching 75 next year so that it doesn’t become an extra bill for those already receiving it.
Also many older people don’t claim benefits because they’re either too proud or don’t know how to access them.

That occurred to me as well Teresa. Just leave the exemption in place for those already over 75 but the under 75’s paying for it now will just continue to pay for it.

1 Like

Mum loved the Archers, used to listen to the daily episodes and then the Omnibus edition on Sundays.
Alas when the cricket season arrived the Archers was dropped from radio 4 much to her disgust. Once I discovered that I could download the podcasts onto my computer then all was well…what’s more she could listen to them whenever she wanted and I could pause them for a much needed cuppa :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I agree Peter and that may be the justification for them but the reports from Westminster by the Regions that I have seen didn’t try and interpret the events in regional manner, it was just the same old stuff the national news had reported. The studio teams however do put a local spin on events.

2 Likes