Just out of curiosity

Married to my handsome French husband one year in May. I'm on SFN because I need to speak English and commiserate with others who "think" a bit more like me. I adore my husband, but he is soooooo French!

I appreciate that Roger and I think it's a brilliant idea. For me personally, though, I wouldn't be able to attend the outings and I wouldn't want to be forever thinking "Oh shame I can't go". Just a simple game of pool and a couple of beers, for example. I can't, I'd be driving and I'd have a 7 year old with me. Even on weekends I like him to be in bed by 10. I have been extremely lucky since we arrived - in really only 4 months I've met some wonderful people, Shaun has made new friends, I've met people I can have a coffee and a good old natter with, it's working out really well.

p.s. I did go and find the group - what's this 'I'm in a relationship but I'm single' business, lol?

Valerie - Part of the "singles group" thing is talking to people (in English) who have "been there/done that". Therapy if you like. I use a French online group called AMIEZ.ORG for entertainment - pool/bowling/eating out etc - there is plenty going on within a 30 mins drive from here in that line, and it's a way of improving my French too. (However - I think the French are actually MORE reluctant to divulge their "status" -- but in THAT situation, I'm not particularly interested anyway!) During July and August (for me) entertainment is a bit restricted in any case, as we are inundated with guests.

Oooh you are cheeky, Roger. I, for one, didn't make a decision not to divulge - it's all there on my profile page. The thing I chose not to do, however, was seek out a singles group (I actually didn't realise there was one! Doh). That wasn't out of secrecy, it's for practical reasons. Quite often single people want to meet up for drinks, dinner or lunch which is lovely and sometimes I almost miss that. However, being a single parent can also mean you can have double the workload. So why get involved in something where I might repeatedly feel I'm missing out on all the fun'? There may be family days organised but, in reality, I don't have the dosh if it's going somewhere 'special'. I also can't go for days out too frequently as I'm on call almost 24/7 for any clients who email and in my 'spare' time I'm moving furniture and putting up shelves. Please don't get me wrong - I am certainly no 'boo hoo poor me' but I don't think my lifestyle fits in with all singles groups. I simply have a different sort of fun. I play footie (in a very geriatric way), splash about in the paddling pool and dance around the kitchen with a little boy I love to pieces. It's cheap living but they're very special days to us.

(p.s. Shirley - being a singleton was not my choice --- the big "C" sort of forced it on me. It was not part of the plan.)

He-he! Shirley - HOW could I turn that down! :-)

I left single-town 7 years ago. I think that, like myself, many people here are drawn to France because of their other half being French. I mean, we could've settled anywhere, but, here was good for both our businesses.

Agree totally Roger. I think that is the beauty of SFN over other sites, we are actively encouraged to say who we are, where we are, what we do and with whom, . It builds, in my opinion, a greater sense of trust amongt the members. That and the fact that everyone has a photo so that we can all put a face to a name.

Ps not single - very happily in a long term relationship with my soul mate, mother of our two children. (for the record)

Interesting reactions. Thanks for the "smileys" - I wasn't trying to stir anything up, particularly. Just idle chat. Personally I don't give a hoot who knows my relationship status and I know there are others who feel the same. I just find it curious that some folk choose not to divulge - I DON'T have a problem with that, incidentally! Personally, while I was married, I wore that status like a badge and was very happy to advertise it.

It's only in recent years that, while "talking" to people on-line, I've noticed little "security barriers" like this. But the one that REALLY drives me crazy is trying to "talk" to someone when you can't even discover what gender they are, as their avatar is an abstract picture and their name is "monkeynuts" or something equally daft.

or it means that we were too busy to know (and sign up for) a singles group on sfn...is there a singles group and if so, what do you talk about ;-)

It sounds to me as though you put that post up very tongue in cheek Roger (GSOH).

But seriously, Ithink a person's relationship status is something very private to them and if they want someone else to know their status, then that person will be the first to know.

not married but in a relationship as they say!

or it means we have no desire to advertise our 'singleness' :-)

Nooo. Not married, thank you. No mortgate , no motor, no man ( well nothing permanent).

Life got a simpler when I started, renting, hiring and 'borrowing'. In that order ;-)

No, Roger, it means we're mowing grass, watering plants, drilling holes in walls and playing about on SFN in our spare time, lol. Oh, I forgot, and I washed the car.