Kindle Books not Downloading - Brexit?

Hi All,
My wife has a Kindle Paperwhite and has, up to now, been able to buy and download her ebooks from an Amazon.co.uk account. This week she has had several error messsages regarding non payment/credit card problems. Having spoken to Amazon client services, after half an hour on the phone, they seemed to think that this is a post Brexit issue.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or heard that there is some sort of ‘export’ problem for the uk branch of Amazon?

Hi Roland

I’ve been trying to download French books recently from the .fr site so it’s probably 3 months since I downloaded a book from the .co.uk one but last time I did, there were no problems at all.

However, I have occasionally had verification problems with UK cards when buying other things on-line so there may be a blip there. I used a different card and all was well. Since I have both a debit and credit card, one of them at least generally works!

However, some of the verification sometimes falls over because of the address on the account as several UK vendors won’t accept a UK card if the address of the bank account is a French one. I haven’t had that particular problem with Amazon (yet) though. Is your wife’s card registered to a UK or French address?

I bought an ebook from Amazon.co.uk a week ago and had no issue - it was with a UK debit card.

1 Like

Wow… it’s good to know that not everything is blasted into outer space by Brexit… :+1:

Amazon has a nasty habit of logging you on to the first address in your account and not the one you used last or most.

So if you happen to have a Dutch address on your account and when Amazon merged your various accounts in different countries that you might have had using same email address, which were originally separate accounts (Amazon and Ebay have both done this merge without permission in recent years), then if randomly Amazon listed your Dutch address first, then a lot of the time if you check you will see it’s just taken the first address on your list and treating you as a customer there.

Very occasionally this will make a difference in ebooks you can see across European countries, the difference is more marked with availability shown to US addresses.

Always check where Amazon thinks you are delivering to if you have several countries in your address book as it will affect what you are shown or can find and often this includes pricing. Happens with Ebay too but it’s more transparent with Ebay.

I have only ever had this address in France registered for Amazon (of all stripes) and download books every week from the UK site with no problems whatsoever. I pay with a UK credit card, also linked to this address.

But I do have a problem with the fact that I have 2 Kindles, since they made some ‘improvements’ :rage:
Might start a new thread for that. :roll_eyes:

Might be handy to start a thread on that, David. I have 2 kindles too … and have comments :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you all for your swift comments. I have noticed that my account is now linked to our french address so will rectify that and see how we go. We also have two kindles so will be intersted to hear the issues arising from this!

Seeing as you are the OP Roland and are interested too, now that you may have solved your initial problem, I might as well do it here. :smiley:

For various reasons I have a Kindle and a Paperwhite. I use them both, the first in the daytime because I like it better, and the second reading in bed just before sleep.

Each morning and evening I would tap top right to get ‘go to’. Tap that and it gave me the opportunity to input location, page or chapter title and number. Very good, a matter of moments.

Then about a week or so ago both of them gave out messages ‘updating do not switch off’. I didn’t, and that’s when the trouble began. ‘Go To’ had disappeared and I was unable to find my place, so I started a chat with Customer Services. The young man rambled on for ages suggesting this and that and eventually said ‘sorry this feature has been discontinued for this model but if you go into settings and then sync both of them will automatically come into line when switched on’. I did this but nothing happened and I was reduced to repeatedly batting the screen page by page to get where I wanted to be. Then there was a change. When I switched on a panel appeared at the bottom saying ‘do you want to go to this location number?’ Tapped it for yes and magically I was in my place from the other one.

There was still a problem though. When I start a book I want to start from the cover. Previously that was easy with ‘go to’ because that was an option offered. (For some reason the default is to take you to the first chapter). But now there was no way to do that, instead of 3 clicks, battering away for ages on the left of the screen through forward , acknowledgements, chapters, other bits of infos etc. etc…

Then I got a message (do not reply) from Amazon telling me all the wonderful things I can do with my Kindle and, directly contradicting the chat person, simply click on ‘go to’ to go anywhere I want. Except of course that the chatter was right ‘go to’ has disappeared. Anyway, leaving aside my weird fixation with starting a book at the beginning, I was relatively happy with the panel which updated my location.

Except that, last night, because I had read more than two chapters (telly is so boring on Sundays, and others sometimes) this blew its tiny mind and dumped me in the middle of the next chapter. I didn’t time it but it seemed like about 10 minutes of battering the bloody thing page after page after page before I got to my bookmark.

There must be hordes of people in this world who are paid solely to come up with new ideas, good or bad, and have never seen the time honoured phrase ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ :rage:

End of rant. If after all this, Roland and Angela, you think it better I start a new thread anyway, just say so and I’ll do an enormous cut and paste. :smiley:

Amazon told me you can change your “market” for content once per year. They don’t let you flip flop apparently…at least not on the same Kindle and email address.

No problems for me, with 3 kindles. An old 2012 model and a Kindle fire that I use and my wife has the 3rd kindle all on the same account. UK bank account.

Quite a number of them work for TomTom! ‘Navigator 6 for PDA’ was the best version of the Western Europe nav they ever came up with. Then ‘Western Europe’ for Android lost some features but was still good. TomTom Go for W.Europe has lost so many useful features I don’t do T/T any more.

Kindle d/l stuff from Amz.uk no probs.

But Kobo gets sniffy about me being in France and refuses to d/l books for 0.99p from the Kobo link on BookBub’s daily offers, presenting me with the kobo.fr price of, say, 12.99€. for the same Eng lang book. I go back to BookBub and Amz is happy to sell it to me for 0.99p

Yes but, are they all in sync with one another, or are they featuring different books at the same time?
That is my problem, also the fact that even with one Kindle, I would still be unable easily to start a new book at the cover.

@David_Spardo
If I go to a book my wife is reading it may tell me the furthest page read is say 84. If I’m going to read that book as well I just press ignore and start from the beginning. No problems with us both reading the same book. If I go into a book I’m reading on different kindles I come to the same page on both.

I’ll have to check that later, but I don’t remember an ‘ignore’ option.

I used to have a Nook and also used kindle on my laptop.

Decided a few years ago to use the Aldiko Classic Premium reader on a Android tablet.
Unprotected (non-DRM) e-books in epub format are very easy to find (and mostly free).
Aldiko also handles books in PDF format which is useful.

That’s interesting. I will have a look.

I have my second Kindle and J has my old one. All my books are also on my tablet, but J has just asked me why my new books are appearing on his tablet as well as mine.
Do you look at the Daily Kindle books?

If by Daily Kindle Books you mean the emails from Amazon, yes I do, and add any that take my fancy to my list. It is then a very quick decision to make when I need a new one. I try to always keep at least one book waiting on my Kindle in case of need when away from home, and therefore internet, that doesn’t happen anymore but I keep the habit just in case. :smiley:

New thing on my Kindle today 1st January, 2022 that other people might like to beware of.

Ordered 5 or so books online this morning. I order from Amazon UK as my Kindle is a UK Kindle. Whenever I’m working and sometimes for other reasons, I’m in the UK. So my Kindle is likely to remain a UK Kindle. (Kindle does let you change the country your Kindle belongs to -but proceed with caution as they will only let you change once per year)

However as of today something’a changed. I didn’t receive an order acknowledgement in my email for 3 of the books, which is unheard of. A little checking in my Amazon account the orders are there, but there is a little note saying this book (3 of them) can only be downloaded in the UK. I will take a guess that some sort of content licensing is now being enforced as of today 1st January 2022, that didn’t have to be previously.

Luckily and completely coincidentally I am going to be able to download Kindle books requiring this in the UK very shortly. But I thought others might like to be aware as it’s likely to happen a lot more in future.

I actually prefer paper books but have defaulted to keeping my Kindle well stocked becauae it’s so practical for travel and there are always delays requiring a good book.