King Charles III

I was… but to your request “Please show the screaming…”

1 Like

They did refer to a husband so most likely she (recognising that’s not necessarily the case).

1 Like

my memory too…

I think your over literal response flummoxed @Lizzie1 somewhat :slight_smile:

Is this thread going to get back onto Charles the Conflicted any time soon?

I’m beginning to worry that the subject may be considered too dull for popular interest

1 Like

Yes, I recall that but was carefully not making assumptions.

Why do you think he is conflicted?

IIRC he’s quite concerned about the environment, so I’d have thought he would be an obvious champion for some, if they can hold their noses over a monarchy.

1 Like
1 Like

long may he reign… the topic I’m sure will endure as long :wink:

Jacob Collier. PLEASE!

1 Like

I actually think that HRH can be quite the right person. He wants to slim down the monarchy show and he does genuinely care about the environment. Given his age, he may not have too long in the chair but let’s see

With the stench of effluent being excreted in to the environment, that may take some doing. I think I saw on French TV that Charles is being hailed as the Ecological King…

He has already made some headway in that direction whilst Heir Apparent… weeding out the “hangers-on” and minor royals.

Excellent suggestion!

This, by Jody Rosen in the NYT:

To begin wrapping your mind around Jacob Collier, the wizardly English singer-songwriter-arranger-producer, the place to start is not a recording or a music video or a concert. You need to check out a lecture. On the internet, you can find dozens of examples of Collier in professorial mode, or as professorial as it gets for a guy whose wardrobe leans to rainbow-colored Crocs and hats with ears.

Off to research……

Given his many pronouncements on his enthusiasm for organic farming, the need to take better care of the environment (etc) over the years, I hope that he will give Truss a very, very hard time at their weekly meetings.

4 Likes

Actually there was a similar post suggesting that he should advise we should be as self sufficient in food as possible. I was going to comment on that but there have been, … distractions … recently.

Although we should aim to reduce carbon emissions associated with import of food we also need to be self sufficient in low carbon energy “generation”1 - which means supporting solar and wind farm development.

Truss, almost certainly in the pocket of oil companies, is using food production as an excuse to trash renewables, so I’m not totally sure giving her another excuse (“The King agrees with me that…”) is a good idea.

1] Of course you can’t “generate” energy until we get fusion sorted, just move it around a bit.

Not a bad account of the modern history of Jerusalem - but slightly glosses over the meaning of Blake’s original words. When he asks 'was Jerusalem builded here, Among these dark Satanic Mills? it should be read with incredulity - he is mocking the absurdity of the idea that anything good could be found in English society. The ‘Satanic Mills’ are not entirely literal (actually there weren’t many industrial mills at the start of the 19th century) - but also a metaphor for the established church. Blake was a revolutionary - a committed supporter of the French Revolution (about which he also wrote). It was in part, of course, precisely this revolutionary, anti-church sentiment that inspired Parry to put the words to music in the first place.

You can make an argument I guess that precisely because it is a left-wing song adopted by the right it might make a more inclusive national anthem. At least it doesn’t exhibit the outright racism and xenophobia of the current anthem, or most alternative suggestions.

6 Likes

But will the new Education Secretary (Kit Malthouse) impose on schools the need to educate pupils on the words and music of the Tory anthem “Land of Hope and Glory” and require them to sing it in School assembly every morning?

1 Like

I completely agree with you about the satanic mills. Very bad things. Especially for children.

Now, to continue with the job in hand of finding a new anthem… Jerusalem gets more points

“because it is a left-wing song adopted by the right it might make a more inclusive national anthem”

And because so many people can already sing it. Or at least hum along.

1 Like