Kitchen sink drainer knob needs replacing

As always, grateful for some DIY help please.

The knob that raises and lowers the drainer in the kitchen sink is looking very scruffy and I’d like to replace it.
The drainer raising and lowering mechanism is working fine and so I don’t need to replace the whole thing - just the knob that sits on top of the sink.
Is it possible just to lift the knob off? I haven’t dared try because I don’t want to break the whole unit.
If so, what’s it called in French please?
If not - I wondered about just painting the knob with a paint that has a metal effect. (The reason it looks scruffy is because the “metal” has broken away, exposing the plastic underneath.) Views please on whether that’s possible.
As always. many thanks for help / suggestions.

Might a photo of your knob help?

4 Likes

Knowing you - how did you type that with a straight face??? Or maybe you didn’t and you can’t stop laughing. I’m off out shopping, will return later, once I have commented on Stella’s post.

5 Likes

Who, me? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Only the purest of thoughts Sue… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Fnarr fnarr you’ve been reading Viz again (or maybe I have)

5 Likes

I think it’s just one of those days… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: when we all enjoy a little humour… :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks Billy, the frustrating thing is I only need the knob, not the rest. Not very well reviewed I see!

Mmm… if you have an old-fashioned quincaillerie near you … you might find they do have just the bit you’re looking for.

might be worth asking/checking them out…

Our lovely chap almost cries if he can’t help mend/rebuild household bits and bobs…

It’s unlikely, they are typically plastic with a thin bit of chromed metal over them and fit into the specific assembly that includes the top part of the cable.

Thanks Billy. In that case, I’m painting it!

@Stella We have a NEW quincaillerie near us - I’ve been wanting an excuse to visit, this is my chance, though I’m not hopeful in view of Billy’s comment. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Doesn’t look promising

but something better made …

Which, nevertheless, is probably made in the same Chinese factory.

1 Like

Sue, does the end screw off as we have a few I keep for spares that the other end has snapped and could be used maybe to replace yours.

1 Like

Billy, I didn’t mean this note to be a direct response to anything you have written…

Britain used to be called “the workshop of the world” back in the days of the peak of the industrial revolution in GB. It is pleasing to see, on the buffers at the end of a railway line in a terminus in an Indian city, “McXXXXX - Glasgow”.

The workshops of the world have moved east. It is pointless wringing one’s hands and bemoaning the fact. Bill Clinton had a notice on his Oval Office desk, “It’s the economy, stupid”

The issue we are discussing can be summed up “It’s economics, my dear old stick”. Unpalatable in many instances, as when Dyson moved a good deal of production to Singapore, but it is so.

Absolutely agree old chap!

It’s just the irony that, these days, “cheap” and “high quality” might well be made side by side in the far East (and not actually be any different).

Thanks Griffin. In fact I’ve solved it!
Sadly the quincaillerie was a disappointment - not the Aladdin’s cave I hope it would be. So no joy there.

Our local brico - also no help (although I suspect in fact he could have sold me an entire unit).

Anyway, I discovered I could lever it off (not screw) and the knob itself looks very much like a cooker knob, with that half-moon push connection. We have the same system on the sink in our house. So our house knob is now in the cottage for our guests and the scruffy one is now attached to our sink.

You appreciate that I have had (of course) months in which to get this sorted and I’m doing it two days before our guests arrive. I had hoped by this stage in my life I might have got better at time management - seemingly not. :grin:

2 Likes

‘You appreciate that I have had (of course) months in which to get this sorted and I’m doing it two days before our guests arrive. I had hoped by this stage in my life I might have got better at time management - seemingly not. :grin:

With those time management skills you should be on ‘New life in the sun’ :rofl: They always seem to be ready just in time.

1 Like