La Chasse - are they really a law unto themselves?

You got it in one!

1 Like

We did Fraser Island in our Hilux Surf. 3 of the most joyous days of my life! Loved having to give way on the sand highway to a landing plane :rofl:

3 Likes

I promise Tory. Through the miracle of electronic media we’ve 45GB (can you believe it :scream:) of photos and video. But there is one special photo and story that I’ll sort out and send you.

1 Like

Thank you, will love seeing it!

My next door neighbour in Grahamstown was an Afrikaner professional hunter cum wild life guide - big belly , tiny tight shorts, big moustache and a HiLux with a gun box on the roof and a shooting platform mounted on the back.

Surprisingly, we we didn’t get along on that well(!) and he was well pissed when I sold my house to a cosmopolitan Indian lady lawyer from Cape Town.

3 Likes

Goodness, do I remember those :joy: Eye watering just to look at.

1 Like

Hopeful legislation. They may be hard pressed to enforce the no alcohol bit but can use it to prosecute stiffer penalties if there is an accident.

The piece that makes me happier is looking at ending driven shoots. This ‘beating’ the prey out using people and dogs results fast (and for avid hunters, exciting) hunt but reactions to shoot need to be fast and can be in any direction. This can make a forest driven hunt dangerous for the inexperienced, myopic or fur hatted. (This is not the standing pegged driven bird shoots as in UK.)

I personally feel it is unsporting to terrify all the birds and animals then kill them in their habitat.

2 Likes

A good friend of mine in a rural area tamed a jackdaw and his neighbour killed it. He was devastated. He had no support from the police.

Yes, rural hunters are a blight on country life everywhere.

They ought to be forced to individually prepare and personally eat everything they kill.

4 Likes

Here is some information from Maison Mirabeau "The number of wild boars has exploded all over France in recent years, with current estimates at more than 2 million. Much like the problem with foxes in Britain, wild boars are now invading suburban gardens and towns (only last year a whole heard stunned shoppers in the centre of the city of Chambery).

Apart from the damage they wreak on gardens and farms they are also responsible for over 60 % of the approximately 40,000 car accidents involving wild animals each year."

So the wild boar is a real pest. There are hunts all over France but they cannot control the ever increasing numbers of boars. When I was working in the Ardennes, our office/factory had their own hunt and of course I got to hear quite a few stories. On some occasions the hunters came back with nothing and it is true to say that it is not the most effective way of keeping the numbers of boars down. Hunting is not for everyone but ordinary Frenchmen (including the transport department manager) consider it a duty to control pests and are willing to risk their lives doing so. Charging boars claim victims too. Meat from the kills was distributed amongst the staff

Especially not when they feed the damn things. And being so well fed they now can have two litters a year.
Ours put our maize and dog food.

3 Likes

Perhaps the humans encroaching into and further reducing wild areas, driving too fast on rural roads and leaving rubbish unsecured in towns, are the pests?

Maybe, better secure private properties, or chose not to move into rural areas, keep rubbish enclosed and try living in this world with other creatures. Before we all go extinct.

4 Likes

being discussed in great detail, but don’t expect anything concrete until after Christmas

Or, until hunting season is over :smirk:

3 Likes

nope
 as the article says
 everyone must be involved in discussions, so that the new Laws will do their job of increasing security and reducing accidents

« plusieurs points vont ĂȘtre nĂ©gociĂ©s jusqu’aux vacances de NoĂ«l et des mesures seront Ă©dictĂ©es en fin d’annĂ©e 2022 ou en dĂ©but d’annĂ©e 2023 » .

Leaves it nice and open then until errrmmm
the last day of February/March. Sorry to be so cynical!

1 Like

When looking up the dates for hunt open and closure in 2023, I found this informative even if not otherwise recommended:

But, when you scroll to the end you can see a link for buying hunting weapons online?!? That seems to me rather dangerous. Who verifies the buyer’s age or identity? So much fakery online. Frightening.

Bvgger laws.

Heavy, heavy personal fines that can’t be insured against, imprisonment and preferably, flogging would make me believe this was being dealt with.

I’m all in favour of hunting where needed but the recurrent deaths and injury to non-participants each year need to be stopped
 fast.

2 Likes

Yes and unnecessary murder of eg larks etc

3 Likes

« Mon objectif est clair : je veux tendre vers le zĂ©ro accident dans les annĂ©es Ă  venir et cela passera par un meilleur respect des rĂšgles, une information plus importante auprĂšs des riverains et un meilleur partage de l’espace », a indiquĂ© la secrĂ©taire d’État.