La Cour des comptes dénonce les tarifs des pompes funèbres - funeral costs

Having just experienced this, I agree.

And in English.

2 Likes

While they are at it they should also condemn the fact that taxpayers pay the funeral fees for deputies and their families …

2 Likes

It may be high but it’s not a deal different from the UK indeed possibly a little cheaper.

The Court is suggesting that the timescale be increased to allow for folk to checkout prices etc… but as a result, it says that the deceased would need to be “treated” to ensure all is ok during this delay. And there is already a daily-charge payable to the Undertakers, for “guarding” the deceased…which would obviously cost more if the time is extended.

Thus, it is possible that what one saves with one hand, one is forced to pay out with the other… :roll_eyes:

Currently, the “treatment” is undertaken (more or less as standard procedure) since most folk want to arrange a public viewing, but it is listed as a “service” on the funeral checklist and comes at an extra cost.

For anyone arranging a funeral… if they decide not to have the public viewing, they should clearly state that they do not want to have nor pay for this “treatment”…

Even without paying for this extra service… the deceased will be handled with care and dignity…

Never understood this "public viewing " thing, all a bit morbid. :fearful:

Mid-January and I get asked to visit a recently bereaved person, to discuss the funeral service for his mother…

I followed him into the house and was taken straight into her bedroom and presented to her… Had I been given time to think about it, I might well have hummed and haaaahed… but, it happened so naturally, that all went well… and we spent some time in that room talking about Mum as if she was still with us… :hugs:

Afterwards, around the kitchen table, trying to get things organized, we were frequently interrupted by friends visiting Mum… and I was left hoping that so many warm bodies would not cause Mum to overheat… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

It was, I think, central heating which saw the end of the recently deceased being kept at home prior to the funeral service. And possibly having to wait two weeks before you could get a slot at the crem… Funeral prices here seem cheaper than in England, but from what I’m reading there seem to be lots of “additional” charges here that would be included as standard, such as preparation of the deceased and storage. That, at least, was my experience as a chaplain before I retired here. And sympathies if you have had recently had to organise a funeral, either here or in the UK.

Certainly in the UK there is such a big gap now between someone dying and the funeral. It just isn’t ‘ healthy ‘ We are going through it in my family and we have got to wait two weeks and a day. That is for someone with no pm etc ,who was on end of life and nothing to delay proceedings.

Hi Franz… I am an all-rounder… involved with weddings/funerals/christenings… and lots more besides. :relaxed::relaxed:

Ten years ago my tally was 2 funerals and 1 wedding… then my fame spread… :roll_eyes:

I now have my routine in place for the Civil Marriage/Baptism at the Mairie… my English script/version has been known to “have 'em rolling in the aisles”…

Funerals (civil or religious) are something quite different, of course… sadly, we have them more frequently than the other celebrations…

Incidentally, storage is included (xx days) but if the time-delay between death and funeral is increased… more storage space will be needed… it is a vicious circle…

Yep Nellie… my brother died in UK last year, 4 Sept and the earliest date was 3 October…

Folk here were aghast that it took so long… and, frankly, so was I.

Franz… have you been approached to help/assist here in France… ???

Hi Stella