Lamb meat where to get proper lamb meat

Ask for mutton, older animal - more taste. Also, a lot of the taste is in the fat, do not buy lean. Better to cook out, cut off the fat after roasting.

1 Like

Went to a restaurant in a village on the slopes of Mont Lozère yesterday and the lamb came to us. Literally. One walked in the door and straight through the restaurant. Turns out it is a lamb that someone thought it would be nice to have as a pet in their flat in Nîmes. Then it got too big so it now wanders the street in the village looking for someone to adopt it. When we left, it was standing at the door to the restaurant bleating to be let in. Some people have no sense.

Friends in Sheffield treated me to an Indian dinner. There was a large party of Asians dining. Seeing this, my hostess asked the waiter if they were doing a particular ‘lamb’ dish - clearly a large-group special. They were, so she ordered it. I ordered a lamb dish off the menu.

My lamb was very disappointing. My friend offered me a taste of hers. Different universe! Absolutely wonderful. Probably what is known as mutton but I believe that simply means a sheep that’s just too old to be classed as lamb, not some bedraggled old ewe past her lamb production age.

We used to get mutton stew at school - real old superannuated-beast mutton. One lunch, the guy sitting next to me fished a bone out of his stew. It still had a couple of molars in it.

In the UK you get lamb, then 2 year sheep called hogget which have more flavour, and then even older sheep which give you mutton.

Shops that serve muslim customers will have hogget and mutton - I find mutton a bit too strong. Never asked for hogget in France …dictionary tells me its called antenais (for both animal and meat) but I would be amazed if that was commonly used!

Am I allowed to say the following when in France eat what the French produce, get the French life if you intend to stay,I adapted and yes when I see ne lamb I buy, in the meantime I buy French, seriously. Live the French life .
You will adapt as we have all done, be French, be good and enjoy :joy::joy::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’m not a vegetarian but poor lambs… gambling one minute, gone the next.

Your chop!

Alive or dead Sue?

Gambling is bad for you. Gamblers deserve what they get. :slight_smile:

I agree, it’s very dangerous (as any spring lamb would tell you if they weren’t on the barbie). I think Paddy Power and Ladbrokes make a fortune. Especially from those addictive fixed odds machines. Personally, I put betting companies in the same category as drug pushers, pimps and abattoir owners. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you are saying you don’t have any British food ore drink products at your place? You are definitely the first one then that don’t have any British products not even tea in your home

About a month ago I gave away the box of PG tips that someone had given me because I don’t drink tea at home. The only British thing that I have not found a local alternative for is Marmite.

Beurk! Who needs Marmite…rid your home of the last relic of a once proud nation, and be a totally pure francophile…

You’ve just got no taste. (for Marmite) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of us are still proud of the nation. You don’t have to be proud of your government to be proud of your nation. I’m sure many French people would agree with this sentiment as well.

2 Likes

I’ve not bought marmite since coming to France, although it is now easily available.

OH hates it :upside_down_face: so I enjoy marmite on hot buttered toast when he is well out of the way…

Years ago, a friend brought me 4 jars… 2 are still unopened and are lurking in the cellar…

1 Like

Maybe but you’re ignoring the bigger question. Do you like Marmite?

1 Like

I wasn’t making any comment about whether or not I was proud of my nation, that’s a different personal choice - a bit like marmite. I was referring to the nation itself, which is no longer what it used to be.

1 Like

Would appreciate your recommendations on French marmalade, no-added-sugar breakfast cereals and tea that doesn’t come in poncey little bags on a string with no taste.
Just can’t face the prospect of dipping croissants in coffee in the morning! :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

India, China, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malaysia etc etc etc… :grin: no tea gardens in the UK.

1 Like