Lamb meat where to get proper lamb meat

Go to the bio shop for those, and buy loose-leaf tea and a mesh ball or cotton bags (the mesh balls come in different sizes and the little cotton bags, which are marvellous, come in packs of 4 or 5).
If I buy marmalade it has to be Cooper’s or Keiller’s, MacKays are best for ginger jam. Bonne maman for soft fruit jam.

1 Like

My aunt used to make marrow and ginger jam. Yummy on freshly made scones.

2 Likes

A nation is made up of its people and the English in particular are so gullible and greedy that I do not want to associate myself with them.
Just wait and see tonight when the young all social message themselves and they are’ either down the pub’ or at an illegal music rave, without a thought to the consequences, for themselves or anyone else.
The oldies on the right elected Boris Johnson.
I know we have friends in England who are just as disgusted as ourselves.

1 Like

They don’t sound very French!
We make our own jam from garden fruit, marmalade from MaMade prepared oranges from a nearby Irish shop.
Weetabix is widely stocked in supermarkets, but I have not found a French no-added-sugar breakfast cereal. I find it slightly insulting that manufacturers decide for me how much sugar I have on my food!

1 Like

I make our own breakfast cereal…takes 20 - 30 minutes to make enough for 3 weeks. Oats, or mixed grain from biocoop, that I toss in a small amount of oil and warmed honey/maple syrup. Pop in oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile chop whatever dried fruit takes my fancy, and/or nuts. Mix all together. Eat.

And our biocoop now sells organic seville oranges for marmelade in January.

1 Like

I make marmalade from the Corsican clementines… a winter crop around Christmas… which is why friends and family call it Christmas Marmalade…

It is delicious and made with the minimum of sugar… :hugs:

1 Like

I didn’t say they were, Mike - I just prefer them to the marmelade/confiture d’oranges amères made here and I haven’t seen French- made ginger marmalade. Chacun ses spécificités!
Try one of your local bio shops for sugar-free cereals, there are lots and you can buy en vrac in bulk too if you like.

I have never made marmalade, too much of a coward - is it idiot-proof? (It would need to be).

1 Like

Would these be of any use?

!

None of those shops near me.and some eye-watering prices. It seems that the more they leave out, the more it costs!

I have tried it a couple of times from fresh Seville oranges and it is very good when it works. But MaMade is almost as good and very easy.
You just empty the tin into a pan, with 4lbs of sugar and 3/4 pint of water and boil and stir for 15 minutes. Makes around 6 jars.
When they were allowed to re-open, the Irish shop sold their entire stock in 24 hours!

“When it works” this is what worries me! I have looked up MaMade and I think if if I were to do it myself I would still do it from scratch, at least once. I’m not sure using a shortcut would make me feel quite as virtuous :grin: especially as I don’t actually eat any sort of jam marmalade etc I just buy them for the people in my house who do.

Chez nous may be the second. I can’t think of any food we have that originates from the UK. While I do wish I could buy still buy wild rabbits for £1.50 each and pick up an Arbroth smokie now and then, their absence is a small price to pay in comparison to the quality of our local produce from the Aveyron, Lot and Cantal.

In addition to the various recommendations above about pre-salé lamb, I’d suggest getting a small vacuum sealer and dry aging your own meat; mine cost under 30€ and is great for preserving things like confit de canard without the bulkiness of traditional methods (and you can explore sous vide cooking too°.

1 Like

Hiya Martin ,
In my home I have, PG tips, baked beans, horseradish sauce.
I shop in the British shop in Antibes for Christmas, minced pies, Xmas puddings, proper Christmas crackers.
Therefore I qualify as British :yum::yum::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:
I love the French food, simple really, I do make Yorkshire’s when I have time.
Just try to buy French, sorry hope I offended no one with my post
I just love living here​:blush::blush::blush:

I do miss horseradish!

1 Like

So do I… except that for some reason I have developed an allergy within the last 5 years.

I used to spread it thickly on beef sandwiches … my mouth is watering merely at the thought of it… but, perhaps I was too greedy since nowadays it would make me really ill.

OH is a lucky beggar… he loves it and friends bring the odd jar, when they are visiting…

There are about 50 million of us! Sweeping doesn’t come close to describing your statement.

1 Like

I have just used horseradish in my smoked mackerel pate that I am taking to lunch tomorrow together with my cream cheese and cucumber timbales.
Raifort rape.

1 Like

Not just wild rabbits for us Mark, pheasants for £6.00 the brace ready prepared and venison from the Badminton Estate.

Where did you find it? Which aisle?