Lamb meat where to get proper lamb meat

And that sounds yummy by the way! Xx

It was in B1, Atac or Auchan, all the same.
Jim asked for help, but eventually a lady came to find him with the Raifort rape.
I think it must be in the condiments section.

1 Like

Grow horseradish in some wild corner of your garden (it is invasive, once planted you will always have it) and make your own. You will need swimming googles as grating it is eye watering. I grate it and put in small pots with some vinegar in the freezer, and then turn into whatever I want as needed. Shame you are not closer as I’d pop a root in the post.

@vero marmelade is idiot proof if you have a thermometer. Although if you can make jam you can make marmelade. I just find judging by eye whether the bubbles are right is not as easy, and the saucer setting technique is too much of a faff. But you have to have patience or a sous-chef for preparing the skins.

that sounds wonderful… and I am very envious… :wink: :relaxed: :relaxed:

Think you can still get a brace for under a fiver from Colstons at Penrith (but they used to be 50p each from the shoot).

Try mixing grated horse radish with creme fraiche, smoother and less brutal than vinegar!

With fresh horseradish you have to first temper it with vinegar or it is inedible. After that you add cream, yoghurt, whatever.

True, but I think most Western recipes are too heavy on the vinegar - for instance rice vinegar is a less obtrusive altenative.

I use about a spoon for a jar! It’s only to temper it, and you drain it off before you use the radish. Have you ever tried using fresh horseradish without this stage? :exploding_head: if so you are a stronger human than me!!

I did try growing some a while back and it was a failure. I will give it another go!

2 Likes

I buy raifort râpé but usually get Meerrettich in Germany, lots of different types to choose from, different amounts of cream or none inTafelmeerrettich, Sahnemeerrettich etc. They also come in convenient tubes eg for picnics, and some have a crimped nozzle so you can make proper little 50s swirls on things eg hard boiled eggs, smoked mackerel etc :grin:

1 Like

Ooh I do love a 50s swirl!!

2 Likes

I was given a lovely cookery book, ‘Food in Vogue’ and I have been meaning to do a sixties dinner party .
The cream cheese and cucumber mousse that I am serving with smoked mackerel pate comes from the Times Cookery Cookbook by Katie Stewart. You will probably find it on line.
I made it for a picnic we had for my twenty fifth birthday on Windermere, and I do mean on Windermere.
We were on my friends boats and moored in the shelter of an island and then there was water skiiing and out to dinner in the evening. When I say I come from Lancashire, people always imagine the cotton towns .
I am sorry to say that Horseradish grows like a weed on the verges near Stroud.

1 Like

Then you have the blackest fingers I’ve ever heard of! Normally it is bullet proof and a complete garden thug.

I use Delia Smith’s foolproof recipe for 'dark and chunky’orange marmalade. Takes a few days, as it’s slow cooking, but one does not have to watch the pot…

Thommy mayo, meerettich, remoulade…
Just stocked up for the year on my visit to Frankfurt.
I love French food, but also have to get my “German, American,Mexican,Chinese, Indian” ingredients to satisfy cravings…

2 Likes

We get loads of things from bahadourian in lyon. They have an impressive range of world wide products - horseradish to marmelade for those who desire it. It is an opportunity for a day out in Lyon, as the shop is a delight. But can just mail order.

https://www.bahadourian.com/recherche-raifort.html

1 Like

Exactly! I come home with culinary treasure from wherever I go. :grinning:

All went down extremely well and I have been asked for the recipe for the mackerelpate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Jane, will put it in the supplies list. It’s sometimes so frustrating to plan a meal and miss a vital ingredient.
Having lived in a few countries and eaten our way around the world, a few favourites are on the meal plan.
Finally found a local supplier for Lamb, heritage breed - quite small but slow growing and lovingly reared. Very nice chops off the BBQ tonight, with new potatoes from the garden.

2 Likes