Languages - learning Orally

I’d like to add a couple of languages to those I have some knowledge of : particularly Arabic.

Does anyone know of an online course that works primarily orally? If I was going screen-based I’d go Rosetta stone based on recommendations. But I’d really like something I can listen to while moving around doing other things at home or out in the car. At least to begin with?

I have used Pimsleur to learn some Italian. It was quite an old course on cassettes from the Library. Maybe you could find more up to date versions as it was pretty good.

1 Like

Do you want to learn fus.ha (modern standard/ literary Arabic, what they read the news in, what newspapers are printed in) or 'aamiyya (what people talk in the street)? Because the former is universal throughout the Arab world and there are lots of resources but the latter varies a lot from place to place eg in Morocco there’s a lot of Tamazigh etc mixed in and as it isn’t really written at all it is a bit tricky.
One of my old lecturers wrote/compiled the first ever dictionary of colloquial Egyptian Arabic and that was only 30 odd years ago.
I’ll have a look around if you like :blush: I might be in a position to tell you if a course is any good, objectively.
Hans Wehr’s is the dictionary most learners use, and Heywood and Nahmad for grammar.
Just for oral Arabic maybe Berlitz or Rosetta Stone or any of those courses, but I don’t know much about them.
There’s an excellent Larousse/Librairie du Liban French/Arabic Arabic/French dictionary. If you have the opportunity to go to Mollat in Bordeaux they have a lot of resources.
Don’t be put off reading Arabic, it isn’t that hard (even though the grammar is hellish to learn if you aren’t used to Semitic languages).

Edited to add when I say read Arabic I just mean inscriptions etc at least to start with :wink:

2 Likes

You could try Language Transfer, available as a phone app or for your computer, and free of charge. I found their Greek helpful to broaden my (narrow) vocab and their approach to spoken French made more sense than simply throwing a bunch of rules at me like other language courses do.

2 Likes

Egyptian spoken would be my first aim.

Not looking to do much printed/screen until having made some basic grounding orally.

Really not looking to start off with a screen nor a book as the driver, having always worked onscreen. And having found the past two years particularly trying being restricted to doing everything onscreen personally as well. I want to be able to move around or drive while I’m listening to something.

We were living in Dubai soon after Toy Story one was released and my seven year old daughter learnt to sing you’ve got a friend in me in Arabic. I must aak her if she still remembers it. You could listen to it in the car to give you. base :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Was I the only child who used to sing “Frère Jacques”… even though I hadn’t a clue…

1 Like

Of course not! And there was:

Il était une bergère,
Et ron, ron, ron, petit patapon;
Il était un’ bergère,
Qui gardait ses moutons,
Ron, ron,
Qui gardait ses moutons

Didn’t have a clue!

Mind you, except for the heavy breathing I didn’t have a clue what they were singing in “Je t’aime”

1 Like

If you search ‘learning masri’ on YouTube you might get some useful stuff.
‘Illee bil masri’ would be a good name for a course, maybe someone has used it :blush:

Thank you to all for your replies

Arabic? Blimey I’m still struggling with English and French, and would love to learn Welsh. In fact, because my computer etc. is on an old tea trolley with a rim round the edge, my mouse pad is my Collins Spurrell pocket Welsh dictionary. Must admit it doesn’t get opened very often though. :thinking:

Best of luck though, just wish I had the strength of mind to persevere. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I used “Teach yourself Arabic” by Jack Smart. My copy also had a CD. It is important to learn the alphabet as you can then read street signs, menus, maps etc… The alphabet is fairly easy to learn with just a half dozen difficult-to-pronounce letters. You can learn sentences like ‘My name is …’ , ‘I am an engineer’ etc. after just an hour or two of study.

Issmi XYZ, ana muhandis takes about 30 seconds :joy::joy::joy:

It’s the remembering it days or months later… that’s the difficult bit of any foreign language I reckon… :rofl:

2 Likes

The more you practise the easier it gets :blush:

2 Likes

That’s what is wonderful about living in the middle of French speakers… :+1:
“school is always open” from the minute we step out of the door…

2 Likes

Absolutely it is! Once you get over the first reaction of new people along the lines of "Oh no! A Brit! They’ll expect me to speak English… " :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a bit of a rule for me.

If we are in French/mixed-nationality company I’ll turn the conversation back into French.
(only polite to do so in my opinion, though others are free to differ).
If the Brit is struggling, I’ll apologise to the rest and break into brief English.
I’ve found this to be well received by all…
and everyone laughs and the languages go back and forth…

2 Likes

Yes I do something similar! What I’m finding difficult at the moment is long term resident Brits who don’t see that they need to speak French - we encountered one when setting up our conversation group. The standard expression is “Oh I get by!” It would really frighten me, being dependent on other people’s ability to speak my native language in an emergency…

1 Like

Sadly too many Brits stick to their own group of friends/activities… where French language takes a back seat.

I consider it sad, but perhaps they don’t… and perhaps there’s room for us all.

However, I do know that many Brits of my acquaintance are missing out on the sort of fun we have with our Clubs and Groups…
With French as the common language and a wonderful knowledge of their country/countries… we go along for the ride (car/coach/train) and have the time of our lives.
and… no… we’re not rich Brits… budgets are tight for everyone… some trips are local/short and some longer ones do take some organising and saving-up for…
We’ve been invited to stay with fellow members far afield … and we invite them to ours…