Languedoc-Roussillon knocked!

With you Norm! I read several European newspapers of both 'left' and 'right' persuasions at that. The negativity you mention does not really manifest itself much beyond UK papers. Indeed, The Scotsman which I take a look at very occasionally seems rather pro-EU. Whilst there are critical things said about something now and again there is none of the vehement critique some of the UK newspapers tell us there is. That seems to be saved for the UK and now and again somebody like Marine le Pen goes off on a blast that goes away as quickly as it came.

My entire family are guests, indeed should I find the UK no longer accommodating, the nationality I would consider would not change my status here in real terms. I would remain as you and I are, a guest. However, given what Jane is saying about freedom of movement, in that sense I agree and can only add that I am a guest who is absolutely entitled to be here. Therefore, whilst I am aware of being a guest I do not make a point of reminding people that is what I am or keep it in the forefront of my mind since in practical terms that would simply be in the way of living anything resembling a normal life.

Norman. I have been a supporter of the European Union all my life. Legally I am not a guest but that doesn't stop me behaving courteously to my French neighbours. Were Europe to be betrayed by the British I'm not entirely sure what I would do. I suppose as I have/had Spanish grandparents I might throw myself on the mercy of Spain

Norman,

Here here. My thoughts exactly.

I so wish that others lived the same way, not just in France. I’ve spent 32 years of my working life abroad and have seen some UK Expats who are, quite frankly, an embarrassment. Im no UK phobic but groups of Brits seem to gather and create a “little England”. I love communicating in my mother tongue, its easier, but I/we run a mile when we see a group of Brits at a bar. I would hate to become part of an “Expat Bubble”. However, Im sure the UK is not alone with this.

We will always be a guest in anything other than our own country.

Hi David, just a thought. How would you describe yourself if Britain left the EU? What about the illegal migrants? they have Human Rights too don't they?

Sorry I am in the process of becoming a French National, and STILL think of myself as a guest here. I think as a guest, and try to behave as any guest would. Is that so unreasonable? It isn't a compartmentalised thing, for me it is a common courtesy (how old-fashioned that word sounds sometimes,). I was NOT born here, I have paid my (small) amount of taxes, and it IS a privilege to be here.

We hear a lot of negativity about the EU - predominantly as I see it from the Brits., so I do find it a little amusing to see how quickly it gets invoked when it apparently supports an argument.

Unlike others on the post, I will remain thinking like a guest, and trying to behaving as one, just as I would expect the French or others to behave in Britain.

Well said, Keith Pine.

To those who think negatively, PLEASE don't come to the Languedoc. Of course Carcassonne can be difficult in the summer - as any major tourist attration would be. The surrounding villages are magnificent and like most other places, have no problems with dishonesty and tourist-related issues. Locals get on with their lives without any fuss and, as farmers, we enjoy a wonderful way-of-life and blend in pretty well with those around us. We are the intruders, trying our best to blend into the life the French take for granted. That's why we are here

I would fully support Sarah Hague's comment, the police here are absolutely lazy and inefficient even when called out they take hours to react. Sadly I've had several experiences as a witness and I've been totally amazed at their attitude so it's no wonder the crime rate is high.

Jane, you missed my point about the cooking. Of course if one has visitors one makes an effort: well some do. I have eaten on a regular basis at french houses, and at lunch one gets what they would normally eat, and have to hope in hell that it isn't andouillette. The same for an evening invitation. I had christmas day lunch once at a french house and got porc aux lentilles, and we ate with forks and opinels. I have had christmas dinner proper (midnight), where ones eats, foie gras, boudin blanc, terrine, salade verte, fromage, which I prefer to that of the islands, with its turkey and sprouts covered in brown gunge.( few people can make a decent gravy, most use the brown powder as seen on TV).

Talking of egg and chips. Marie-Elisabeth, who was given some Morse books, asked me what was the "egg and chips" that sergeant Lewis was always eating, I said "just that", and made some for lunch: pas mal! So the following week, we had her french version: pommes de terre sautées à l'ail et au persil, and I said tres bien!

Talking of boeuf bourginon, we were going to have that last week, but forgot to marinate with the wine, so we had "Boeuf mode" and its derivatives, culminating in a french bubble and squeak. The same system applies to pot à feu.

Anyway, trying to get back to the main subject. As Norman says, there's bad if you look for it.

Montpellier has one of the oldest medical schools in Europe (1137), and its university goes back a long time before that. The cultural heritage of the area is overwhelming, which seems to have escaped the journalists. Being brought up on the islands with the usual "islands and english-speaking-world superiority complex", coming here has put life in proper perspective.

Since coming here, and from my experiences of brit expats homing in on Eire, I take no prisoners when it comes to the indifference and ignorance of a huge number of expats, so much so, my book on the Charente-Dordogne got only 4 stars (out of 5), as some of my statements ruffled the reviewer!

As ever, think bad and you will find bad, think good etc......

Question. Why is everyone so uptight at continuing working? Maybe its what you do that matters, but at my age (73) it's still what gets me up in the morning, and makes me collapse at night.

The alternative of becoming a daytime TV veggie frightens the Hell out of me.

I think people do have the time for what you call 'fancy' cooking when they are entertaining guests. It does not happen every day.

Here in Burgundy you can get sick of boeuf bourginon on the menu everywhere you go.

I used to cook professionally, but we had a visitor this morning, hence egg and chips. They were our own eggs.

Thank You.

Oh so that's you Martin. That Lilac dress really didn't suit you.

As a relative 'newbe' to Montpellier, (I've only been about 10 times) I have to say I think it's absolutely wonderful. So much so, that I bought a small 'buy to let' apartment 2 years ago, with a view to living in Montpellier in a few years time. The city is beautiful, the tram system fantastic (especially since the opening of Tram Line 3 which takes you right through the city and out to the beaches). The people are very friendly, there's lots and lots to do. Even in the couple of years since I've started visiting, I've seen great development in the city. I've come over on my own a couple of times and I've never had any bother with 'beggers' or anyone else. I think Montpellier is no different from problems experienced in any other large city anywhere in the world and indeed, is much safer and much more pleasant than a lot of other cities I could name.

The health service here in France is suffering from cuts as is the UK.

There is also the problem of 'health deserts' where you cannot find a good GP.

We changed our GP because he could not be bothered to open his post to look at my scan results. He does not have a computer either. You cannot imagine a GP existing in the UK without being computerised.

Don't forget that you will need top up insurance via a Mutuelle as part of your health plan,although as a British retiree, your health costs are covered by the UK.

As France is so bureaucratic you will often find one Departement operating quite differently from each other. The French simply do not know the EU regulations, which always take precedence over national rules, much to their national chagrin, although I hope that this will now be addressed as to the right for British retirees to access treatments in the UK that they cannot find in France.

We have had both good and bad treatment here in France, but that is exactly the same as it was in UK.

not really, but perhaps Jane will say otherwise. However, you need to be aware that it doesn't work at all like the NHS!

Yep, that's them (although no finger pointing please!), had brother-in-law on the phone the other day, everything going very well for them but they've openly made comparisons between life in the aude and the aveyron. Having said that, aveyronnais are very chauvins, even adopted ones ! ;-)

Jane, I am intrigued. One of the reasons that my wife and I are looking to 'La belle France' as a place to retire is because of the much vaunted health service. Is there something overlooked ?.

absolutely, the number of courses round at my in-laws is staggering but we always eat just one or two things at a time. Christmas lunch on the farm takes nearly all day :-O

yes, perhaps "some" would be better given that people still read and believe whats written in the media, there's nearly always a slant or a hidden agenda...!

Andrew, I think you need to change "most" for "some"! I suppose all home cooking can get a bit repetitive. People just don't have the time for fancy cooking, but what I do like about french meals is the way they are presented: you get to taste the food, none of this cramming onto a fork a whole host of divers tastes.

Please don't, Sheila!!! We have to bring the outboard back each time as they're always being half inched. Touch wood, no problems apart from ponton damage in the winter storms :-O

Oh, and don't get any grand ideas of luxury yachts, it's bottom of the league stuff!

With all this crime, have you checked recently that you do still have a boat? ;-)