Laptop., Wanted

Looking to buy a 17" laptop with Qwerty keyboard ( French considered)

Fully working with windows 8 or 10. and recovery discs.

Make I prefer Toshiba , HP ,Dell but have an open mind.

What have you? Please email details.
Thank you for looking.

@anon5956764
We have a Dell Vostro with Win 7 professional 64 bit and QWERTY keyboard.
We have the original cd’s and manual but the battery may need replacement.
Spec here
Doesn’t quite meet your requirements as Win7 not 8 and 15" display not 17".

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I really want 17"

David

No problem.
I’ll probably just reformat it and put Ubuntu on it.
Thanks for letting me know.

How much are you after for said steam powered laptop? I need another.

I’ll ask 'er indoors when she gets back from shopping - it’s her machine but I guess not too expensive as it will need a new battery although still runs on mains power of course.

Does it rely on the mains then? Has to stay tethered? Not a problem really as long as WiFi and CD drive work.

Yes otherwise the machine complains the battery is about to die IIRC. WiFi and CD are OK.
Reason for sale is that she now has my old Ubuntu PC as neither of us really get on with windoze and all the s/w we use (other than iPad iOS) is now Linux based (and free!!).

Ah, I like that Linux programme, surprisingly good, I had it on the recently deceased laptop.

1 Like

Yes, Ubuntu is really good and there is nothing we can’t do with the OS that we could with windoze.
You should be able to load Ubuntu on without any problem - I would suggest version 18.04 LTS until 20.04 LTS becomes more stable (20.04.1 should be released in late July which should iron out initial issues and more drivers become available for external devices like printers). Personally, I’m going to wait for about a year until questions/problems outlined on Ask Ubuntu abate and it shows more stability.
'Er indoors suggest 50€ plus the cost of insured postage (if you’re not close to Dept 16).
If you like, and you don’t want windoze, I could install 18.04 on it before shipping and then old remnant of windoze will be gone.

Awesome, you could leave windoze on and I have the CD to install if I want. Can you hang on a week or so as I am just scrabbling my life and finances into order after the virus and lockdown wiped out my business? I am genuine, no messing, definitely want to buy.

Yes, no problem.
It’s been sitting on her desk for a few months unused anyway and it was the OPs request that fired up the idea to get it out of the way.
I’ve got another 2 laptops left over from when we ran our business in the UK which are well over 10 years old with XP on them which I’ll get round to disposing of some time or other as well.

Awesome, thanks. My current beast refuses to connect to WiFi and has to be plugged into the router all the time which is a pain!

Is it just that you need to activate the WiFi with Fn key presses? Fn + F2 on her Dell…

Nope, been through everything, no joy, all the expert stuff, it will connect through tethering to the mobile but cuts out frequently that way.

so the Wifi on the machine works then in that case :thinking:
Maybe the proximity of the laptop to the router is at fault giving a poor reception (through walls etc). A possible solution is to buy Wifi extenders which will run the signal through your electric circuit?
We have used these in the past - no need now as we are wired to the router and our house is wood framed.
This one looks good and you don’t lose the plug socket…

The WiFi here is excellent throughout and outdoors, which makes a change for a French house, but it is the same at other houses and cafés, won’t connect, its a faulty old beast.

1 Like

WiFi extenders are very helpful for a house sitter in France, the thick walls are a constant barrier.

Was just a thought. Extenders often have RJ45 connectors allowing you to take a wired solution without trailing wires all over the house - one unit goes close to the router and the other to the place where the pc is - but you probably know that already.

I am experienced in extenders, being a house sitter and writer who relies on WiFi wherever I go, I have been through great adventures with extenders. Here we have perfect WiFi and a laptop that just won’t play.
Anyway, I think we have accidentally hogged this thread from the poor chap who started it.

1 Like