Lawn feed with weed killer

I am looking for a lawn feed that includes a weed killer, any suggestions please?

Do you really have to? Can’t you live with a few weeds instead of adding more chemicals to the environment…

2 Likes

If I used a lawn feed with weed killer, there would be nothing left :rofl:

4 Likes

Which weeds are you trying to kill ?

1 Like

When I was working in the green turf business I found it more productive to apply a separate selective weed killer and then apply the fertilizer a few weeks after. Those all in one treatments aren’t neccesarily bad just less efficient imo.

1 Like

There are now restrictions on using weedkillers, for Joe Public - which is why I am wondering what weeds Lily has a problem with…:thinking:

There will possibly be environmentally friendly stuff - just depends…

It took a flood to rid our lawn of all its plantains (back in the UK) … rotted them clean away…:roll_eyes: our tortoise was not amused.

1 Like

Thank you for you replies.
I was asking for someone else and thought there maybe a chemical free option.
Our ‘lawn’ is kept short so the weeds are not too obvious :butterfly::honeybee:

Do you collect your cuttings Lily ?

Frankly, with the heat we get nowadays - I am looking at having a low-growing “weed” lawn, rather than grass. My grass is sandy coloured and horrible, whereas there are some delightful low-growers (green leaves and small yellow flowers amongst others…)

Any ideas - please let’s have 'em

1 Like

The only ones I’ve been able to find are based on pelargonic acid which are, well, a bit useless.

They kill the foliage quite quickly but do not penetrate the root or kill the whole plant.

1 Like

The cuttings just go onto a small garden rubbish area.

We also have plenty of dandelions:wink:

Tessie used to make a beeline for those and chomp on the heads with great relish…

Here, we have a few dandelions, which are great for the bees and insects and, frankly, don’t worry me. The brown grass makes me shudder.

We mow the dandelions/whatever about once in 10 days just to keep them fairly tidy… the low-growing flowering weeds slide well below the blades… :wink:

1 Like

Tests have proven that uncollected clippings produced lawns with less weeds. This applies in your case with your grass being kept short. Properties within the waste clippings act as a natural fertiliser and weedkiller.

1 Like

That may be true, but our lawn has completely disregarded those test results and rebelled :wink:

2 Likes

Our ‘lawn’ has also disregarded those tests! Each spring and autumn we mow and leave the clippings and that does help a bit, although it does spread the weed seeds. The grass is noticeably best in north facing areas under trees but it is getting thinner and more fragile every year due to long periods of drought and high temperatures. At the moment it is sad - greyish, flat, and crispy and hasn’t grown at all since April/May. Like us, even the weeds have given up this summer!

1 Like

If a lawn or patch of grassland is already infested with weeds it won’t make any noticeable difference but when a lawn is sown and created from scratch and the grass is mown regularly ie weekly with shortish clippings Those clippings will nourish the new lawn.
If the existing lawn is treated with a suitable selective weed killer then you will find the weeds will be better controlled.
Weeds will still grow, depending on soil ph etc but less so than if the clippings are removed.