Lawn mower recommendations please

I need a lawn mower, I have a lawn of about 250 sq meters and I want something with a decent petrol engine, Honda perhaps. I really don’t know what else I should look out for ( what is mulching?), any suggestions please!

Budget around 600 euros

Needs to collect the grass too :slight_smile:

These look good but no idea who makes the engine and I’m wary of parts availability.

This looks better but is it worth nearly double the money?

Hello James,

Here’s the link to Einhell, a German company now present in 50 countries
mostly importing spare sparts from China.
Possibility to pay in 3 installments without interest:
http://www.einhell.fr/einhell-france.htm

Cheers!
Anna

1 Like

So it’s a Chinese engine, I’ve found they can be quite poor quality and difficult to get parts for, had the same problem with my current mower which is why I’m changing it. Having said that I do have some Einhell power tools and they’ve been great!

Hi James

Personally, I would prefer to buy a well-known brand, from a local supplier, with a good after-sales service record.

At the risk of starting a furore, may I mention my fears about Chinese bits and bobs. Not always the best option… but sometimes they do come up trumps…but it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

2 Likes

@james

Honda engine definitely.

I am sure you know by now but mulching is a different configuration of having no outlet for the grass which means it gets cut by the blades several times before falling onto lawn as very short bits. It means you don’t need to collect and then compost. In a big garden this is excellent - and miraculously doesn’t get on your shoes - where is goes nobody knows!

I have been told mulching will only work up to when grass is medium height - when really long at start of season better to do side ejection or collect.

For 250m2 a 53cm seems pretty big, I bought a 53cm for 2500m2 which takes about 1.5 hours.

I bought a Husqvarna from local lawnmower supplier for about 350 euro - I was pleasantly surprised that when asked they gave 10% discount.

At 53cm ensure it is self-propelled.

2 Likes

I too have a Husqvarna. I bought it because they are well made and spare parts are readily available. Mine has a Briggs and Stratton engine which is first class. It was available with a Honda engine at a higher price but the dealer told me there was no point in getting one. I bought it because a friend had one and I liked it. It it is sturdy, powerful and is propelled at a good walking pace. Although I normally use my (Husqvarna) ride on for my 4000 square metres I have cut the lot with the smaller one. It cost about €600. I can’t remember the model number but I will look when I get home later today.

1 Like

Thanks, do Husqvarna make their own engines?

Please David, thanks.

I have a Husqvarna 48cm self propelled mower, thoroughly recommend it. Can’t remember exactly what it cost, but around 450 I think. Engine is a Brigs and Stratton. Also got a Husky ride on with a Kohler engine, never had a problem

Something like this?

1 Like

Husqvarna use engine suppliers, mainly B+S or Honda but sometimes others like Kawasaki. My small Husqvarna has a single cylinder B+S engine, the ride on a V twin of the same make. Both excellent.

1 Like

I’m using in the UK, a Hayter Harrier41cm that I bought from my Dad 25 years ago when he downsized and it’s good as gold. Mine has a Tecumseh (made in Italy engine) and it always starts on the first pull but now they fit Briggs & Stratton engines. When my wife worked at Black and Decker as Product Manager she was advised that our Hayter was a Rolls Royce amongst mowers. Not sure I need a Rolls Royce but I do like the fact that i will be writing this down over 50+ years :slight_smile:

In France we have a used MacAllister (or similar) this has a Briggs and Stratton motor and always starts first time. It doesn’t have the roller for stripes and the shroud is plastic not alloy but for £20 it’s a cracker.

The things that will impact your mowing time are;

1. width of cut
    but just as importantly
  2. having a corresponding collection bag (no point having a wide cut and small bag as you’ll always be emptying)
  3. The distance to the compost heap (we place a wheelbarrow or tarp in the middle of the lawn so we can empty as we pass and fill that with multiple baskets of mowngs then do one journey to compost which is down the far corner)
  4. The number of trees, cabines, garden ornaments and funny borders etc that just slow everything down. There’s no point having a super wide mower if most of your time your faffing around dodging fruit trees etc.

It’s a slightly different topic but correlates to mowers - the last service for my petrol chainsaw (re-sharpened chain, new air filter, fuel filter, carb clean etc) cost £90. Yesterday I had an email offering a brand new German electric chainsaw with Oregon blade/chain for £90. It’s a sign of our consumer society that you can throw away a two year old product just to replace a consumable (chain) for the same cost or less if you sell on the used model.
I’m not saying this is a good thing to pursue but it may make economic sense.
You could always check out for the local mower maintenance man - ours has new but many more used items for a sale. You could always but a used Rolls Royce knowing that with regular oil changes and filter changes (regularly every 25+ years) it could outlast all of us :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think so - our one is not Honda but it is a recognised brand engine - I just can’t remember which one!

At 250m2 - have you considered a battery mower - we have a bosch one in UK for our smaller lawn and it is excellent.

Anything with a Honda or B&S engine should be reliable. My Honda is 4 years old and always starts first time. In my experience it’s the rest of the mower that might have bits that need replacing over time. Lots of plastic that can easily be damaged. Maybe I’m just careless…

1 Like

And if you do damage or break something, it’s much easier to get repaired if from a branded name with a local dealership

2 Likes

No but I’ll look in to that thanks!

On the topic of spare parts and Husky products I can only comment on 4 aspects from experience of my Dad’s first chainsaw;

1. Reliability.
    Always starts and never, ever lets us down
  2. Performance
    The big old motor has plenty of power (the chain like any cuts better when it’s sharper)
  3. Servicing
    Our local service shop will now only service this if my Dad promises not to let any inexperienced users use the saw (lack of safety features)
  4. Spare parts availability
    When we did need a spare part it took a while to locate it (Canada). Husqvarna had two parts but were not able to supply. In fact they refused to supply parts. Yes, they refused to break down one of the two they had in stock for parts. They were adamant that they would not touch either of the two that they held in their museum. They claimed that at 50+ years old these were part of their corporate heritage!!

My Dad bought this second-hand before I was born (1963) and it’s still going good.
So yes, I can recommend Husky products but just be careful if you’re intending to get spares after 2070!! Hahahaha

PS my boss has a friend who has a Husky robot mower in Pau and a lawn to die for but the 4k EUR price tag is a bit of a sticking point. For 4k you could have a man to do the lawn 36 times a year (1 hr/6 EUR each) for the next 18.5 years and you could sip cocktails and watch.