Le monde in English

Might be of interest (for those of us who don’t yet easily read French) that Le Monde have just stared a morning email with a digest of the days articles translated into English. It is also possible to switch to Fench so good learning tool.
Google le monde daily english email to sign up

8 Likes

Thanks Studball, just signed up

Andy

The link is here.
Just click on the Subscribe button on the top panel but there is a subscription cost…

1 Like

No, its free
You have the wrong link…yours is to le Diplomatique

care to share the correct link perhaps so I can correct my post?

Seems to be https://www.lemonde.fr/newsletters/le-monde-in-english/

3 Likes

Whilst it is handy to have an English brief idea of what is in French News… it is also a good idea to continue to struggle with the News in French ie via your local paper/website/whatever.

These are 2 sites I tend to read .
Between them, I can get a pretty good idea of what’s what across the country (and abroad if I wish).

OH works his way through using his Galaxy and the “translate” tool when he gets stuck.
Me working on my desktop computer… I tend to copy/paste bits into Google translate (and, yes, I know it gives me rubbish from time to time… :wink: ).

of course there are lots of other local sites to use… and picking up some of the phrases does help when one is chatting (mumbling) with the neighbours.

lemonde.fr is excellent for some stuff (manifestos :wink: :+1:)

1 Like

Yep that’s it, for some reason the device i was using would only copy and paste the email address on which i receive the daily mail

Don’t frighten me like that John!

3 Likes

Note no capital d or m !
@graham …And it would appear i was partially wrong, often only half the aricle is free…what use is that…but there us a low first year monthly price of €2.99…(€10 thereafter so not a bank buster) and you can cancel without penalty.

1 Like

Many News Sites limit what can be seen (often identified by a coloured blob/box top lefthand side…

but leave enough Items unfettered/unmarked, so that one does get the knowledge one seeks (maybe with a little searching…)

I don’t subscribe to any Newspapers online or off… and have no problems with NOT being able to fully-open something. I’ve often found that some News Sites allow the really important stuff to be available to All-comers… even if one does have to click through “NO” to this and that… beforehand…

Morning All

Just received my first two e mails.

Really interesting read, can wholly recommend it.

My French can deal with our local paper La Manche Libre, but I found the nationals rather hard to deal with

Thanks for the link Studball

Andy

@andyw
Yes, we are the same, getting the Le Tregor as the weekly local, good to know who has lost their cat!
Finding the Le Monde very good and informative over the election and now about party jossling ahead of the Parliamentary elections. Have to remember it is left of center probably sitting between Uk Times and Guardian, so generally loves EM. Well worthv €2.99 a month.
OH says I read too many, but I’m carefull not to believe all I read!

Also very much enjoying the reading, so thanks very much for taking the time to originally share the link :+1: :+1: