Le smoking olympique

French Olympic couture discussed in depth in NY Times - haven’t seen anything in French press or other media

‘the looks are a valiant attempt to rewrite the rules of athlete outfits that somehow also call to mind Alain Delon and Catherine Deneuve playing Pan Am flight attendants on the lam at Le Palace.’

Like the women’s blue leather loafers…

It was on the news on F3 this evening.

So what did you think of it?

Awful.

It’s certainly unique. :wink:

And interesting in the light of comments made about the lack of style and good tailoring demonstrated by the British royal family not so long ago. Perhaps like some art, saying something is more important than aesthetics? (that is not a dig BTW)

Charles’ tailoring is distinctive, but that’s because it’s stuck in the 1950s, whereas the younger royals are just blandly non-distinct.

However, crossing the Channel, I’ve often wondered why Macron usually favours a black tie of the sort that a Brit would only wear to a funeral (and it’s usually a tad too wide for his narrow lapeled suits).

On more important matters you raise an interesting issue, about how one defines the boundaries of aesthetics. And I need to think about that for a while!

OK - I’ve thunk (whilst simultaneously tracking two European cup ties)

I’d posit two sets of aesthetic spectra

Firstly from the beautiful to the grotesque (both quite common in earlier art).
Secondly from the sublime to the abject (mainly art of the last two centuries)

If anyone has the slightest interest in any of the above, I’ll be happy to expand/explain

Now, back to the football…

1 Like

Physical: From the beautiful to the grotesque.
Non-physical - ie mental: From the sublime to the abject

IOW in the former, the aesthetic properties are physical and reside in the object, whereas the latter are non-physical and reside in the mind of the spectator.
As before, in the unlikely event that anyone’s te slightest bit interested, I’m happy to explain further…

In the meantime, more importantly; I expected Arsenal to be knocked out, but not City (OTOH I’m a surprised, but happy United Mancunian).