LED Ceiling lights

I have a number of current halogen ceiling lights where it appears the transformers - over a long period of time - have failed. I might as well fit LED ones to replace. I WAS going to buy new LED transformers (230v in 12v out) and new light fittings. However I see on Amazon that there are many LED ceiling lights that DO NOT NEED a transformer…taking input 230v directly.
My question is: If I remove the old, failed transformers, the wiring will not quite meet…so is it ok to simply insert a small (say 20cm) piece of cabling connected with two joiners either end?

Yes, as long as the junction boxes remain accessible/inspectable.

Nope, all circuits must carry an earth. Even if your lighting fittings are Class II (double insulated ) & therefore do not have an earth connection the earth must pass through & be linked up. So, three wires/joiners.

This is to ensure that anyone fitting a Class 1 fitting in the future has an earth to connect to.

If your installation allows it you might be able to pull in longer wiring & avoid the extra junctions, as long as your new fittings allow for loop through connections.

Wish the guy who installed lights in our place knew that he was supposed to supply an earth.

For one set of fittings I managed to run new cable as the earth actually made it as far as the switch, just not to the fittings.

For the hall light it was impossible without making holes in walls so we had to abandon the nice fitting that had taken us months to agree on :rage:

Thanks…what I meant was 'join the wires each end"…the join will consist of three wires…L/N/E.
SO looks like I can use the non-transformer light fittings.

1 Like

Worth a little extra for fire rated fixtures if possible.

Good idea to get rid of the transformers and fit mains voltage LED’s! My experience is that the transformers fail after seven or eight years in any case.

Not if you buy quality transformers …

Constant current or constant voltage?

Perhaps my transformers were cheap (I can’t remember) but I know for sure that one of my “spots LED” was cheap and it started flickering and lighting very dimly. I think it might have been this that stressed the transformer and caused it to fail.