Legal Protection Vices Caches

2 Likes

very useful… cheers Graham

@fabien may wish to contribute

Hi @graham , happy to but what’s the question? :wink:

None specifically… Just wondering if you have a view on this type of insurance…

Not particularly except that the article seems to assume legal insurance will pay for any legal fee whatever the situation and that’s not the “by default” way that type of policy usually works. It’s mostly for defence and although it can be used to sue someone else it’s more of a case by case basis rather than an automatic weapon you can use when you feel like you can send someone to trials. :wink:

3 Likes

I thought that might be the case tbh. Thanks.
I’m not in the market for this myself but thought it might be useful for some who are and who wish to obtain some sort of protection whether buyer or seller.
How do the costs of such policies compare and are the prices based on property values or other factors?

That type of policy ranges from 80€ to a bit above 220€ a year depending on what’s included (actually it’s also sometimes included with the home insurance package too but then the cover is very limited to some particular type of events).

1 Like

Yes, it was actually useless when I needed it.

Good to know Jane - so you’d recommend caution and/or further investigation as suggested by @fabien before embarking on or relying too heavily on such a policy.

Sorry, I was referring to the legal services package that you can take out with your house insurance.

I think there has been some misunderstanding of this article by Fabien.

The article was not about the insurance you can take out for vice caches, but about the protection given statutory law . There is no ‘insurance’ you can take out against hidden defects, although it is possible to take out ‘assurance juridique’ to assist with legal costs in the event you need to make or defend a claim. See about that here, which also points out that the insurer is not obligated to accept the case:

Neither did the article state that legal redress was ‘automatic’; on the contrary it pointed out that there was a lot of litigation about the issue and the conditions that apply for a case to be successful.