Letting my house in UK

If we knew that letting our house will create all these problems I think we would think twice. When we had to leave Scotland to live in Montpellier because of my work, we decided not to rent out our house in Scotland but then after a few months we changed our mind and we decided to let it so we can have some money to pay the mortgage. We chose Let It as we’d been advised that it was a good estate agent. Since we start the procedure of letting the house the bills started before we even have a tenant (fees, fees, fees) so once they informed us that they’d found a tenant we were a bit relieved because we thought that at least we can have some our money back. How wrong we were!!!

The bills kept coming, the agency informed us that the electricity was faulty and needed upgraded. We agreed and it cost us not far off £300. We couldn’t check what the electrician had done because obviously we’re not there and our family can’t check everything. Not long after this they said that they need an annual check on the boiler. The boiler was only one year old and still under warranty but they come up with a kind of certificate we should provide and because again we weren’t there we could not argue so we agreed to pay another £75 for it. After another few weeks, the agency called again. This time the boiler broke down just after midnight at the weekend (of course it couldn’t be earlier) so the agency paid for an emergency call and the bill came to £253 to repair it!!!! And here was not even matter of we agree or not... it was just taking from the rent. Now after 5 weeks of peace it was time for the oven to break!!! Yes, yes the oven... the glass in the oven door has broken. A double-glazed oven door has broken!!!! And how? They do not know.

The agency called and asked for £140 to repair the oven door. I, of course, was mad but we decided we’d take the opportunity to get a new oven as the one we had in the house was a bit old and we’d inherited it when we moved in with the intention of getting a new one. Plus we’d have cover if the agent tell us that the oven door broke on it. Also, I would not pay 140 pounds for the glass on an oven door. We bought a new cooker online from Currys the next day; we paid for the cooker and installation (mind you it was a painful £450). We informed the agency that it will be delivered 29th as it was the soonest we could get even with express delivery. And guess what guys? I got an email just a few hours ago from the agency saying that the tenant is very unhappy and want us to pay compensation for them as they won’t be able to have roast turkey for Christmas because of us!!!!!!! I am seriously getting depressed, we have been renting the house for about 8 months more that 60% of the total rent has been paid for bills the agency or tenant come up with. The problem is that we can’t check what’s right and what’s wrong. If they say that the electricity is not working there is no way for us to know if it was the tenant who broke something. The house was in perfect condition when we left Scotland. Does anyone have any ideas what can I do...?

The agency apart from sending us the bill and telling us about the break down in the house, they do absolutely nothing. We asked for example for photos of the broken oven... the answer we got is “the tenant will take pictures when they can, otherwise you can call them directly”

I seriously don’t know what to do? Does anyone else experience such problems in the UK? How do you deal with it? We are really desperate