Levothyrox: The controversy over one of France's most commonly prescribed drugs

Mandy —saw my pharmacist–she confirmed what you had said—W hen I ask at doctors-- for a change–what do I ask for? Levothyroxine—is what I’m on now ! ???

Found it in your previous message—L-thyroxin -Henning

Hi Terry

The one I am taking is L-Thyroxin Henning. All 4 drugs available are mentioned in the attached article.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Hi Mandy ----this morning i took my first of the new prescribed pill —
will let you know in a month -if any perceived change !

Don’t forget to keep your Doc in the loop… good luck. :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello Terry

I’m very happy you have got the new version. I hope you see some improvement very soon. Keep me posted.

Take care

1 Like

Hello all,
Just getting back to thread. FYI–my side effects on the new Levothyrox were:
fast heartbeat
severe depression-suicidal thoughts
fatigue
headaches
stomachaches
muscle cramps in legs
anxiety
insomnia
These were the major ones…
Been on L-Thyroxin Henning since mid-November. Wasn’t available in pharmacies here til one week after prescribed. I still have few of above symptoms. TSH is ok. Seeing Endocrinologist Tuesday. If old formula of Levoythrox still available, and will continue to be, may ask to switch again! Feel like a hostage–not fun!
Welcome sharing and feedback with your experience.

Hello @terrydropt and @judyk

Just wondering how you are getting on with your new medicine. Let me know please.

Has anybody tried buying thyrotoxicosis treating products directs from selling websites. I am considering doing this for the first couple of years after arriving in France.

No I haven’t and would be very wary of doing so. I would be concerned as to the authenticity of the medicine especially if it was from a site that didn’t require you to have a prescription for the medicine. I’m curious as to why you want to do this although I understand if you don’t want to share personal details here.

1 Like

I thought it would be needed after moving to France until we are in the health system properly. It may be 18 months after arriving that we actually earn any money.

You need to register with the health system ASAP. However, you can still visit a doctor and get prescribed medicine without being registered. You just have to pay the fees knowing that you will not be reimbursed.

As David says…

Plus, you would be well advised to take out Private Health Cover… no-one expects things to happen… but having no HC whatsoever can prove horribly expensive when/if the unexpected does happen… while you are waiting to get into the State System.

There are many companies that will offer affordable full cover (including pre-exisiting maladies)… and more often than not, the HContract can be changed to Mutuelle/Top-up… once you do get into the State System.

First, I concur with David and Stella.

Second, do you not need to have your condition monitored regularly? 18 months seems an awful long time to consider going without any monitoring and just hoping you get the dosage right. A Doctor’s appointment is only 25€ (not sure about the cost of a blood) and, I imagine, would be worth the price for peace of mind.

Would you also pay for the prescription above the 25 euro?

My levels have been very consistent for the past 10 years so going 18 months would not concern me.

Just as a tip - a friend of mine pops over the border to Spain to buy her stash of (original recipe!) Levothyrox - she buys about 6 months worth at a time - cheap as chips apparently and they accept her French prescription. She can also get it in Andorra but they charge a ridiculous price up there as they are fully aware of, and profiteering from, the issues in France. It may just be worth the trip over the border/s from time-to-time.

Yes you would have to pay for the prescription on top of the 25€.

She’s fortunate to have a MT who will prescribe for 6 months. Mine won’t give more than 3 months. I don’t have to pay so makes no odds to me how much they are.

Actually Mandy the prescription is only for one month but they don’t seem to care about that over the border - they just want the business. Pharmacia’s full of French residents on drugs runs !!

2 Likes

Not to forget the washing powder, alcohol and tobacco runs, all those trolleys piled so high :shopping_cart:
Pity we live so far from the borders !

2 Likes