Licence document

After three and a half months my application has been returned. They are asking for ‘justificatif etat civil mentionnant votre nom Shaw’. Shaw is my maiden name so do they want copy birth certificate?

Seems likely Linda…they perhaps need a Marriage certificiate… which shows your entitlement to use the name Shaw…

My name on the French DL is my maiden name …then it is marked… epouse “married name”.

It is so many years ago… I have no idea what documents I offered them… it was a face to face… and I would have had a barrow load of documents…so the clerk could take what they wanted…

No quite so straight forward on-line…

let us know how it goes, please…

Yes you will need the certificates Stella mentioned. Birth and marriage. That’s what I needed.

Thankyou. Will get photocopying.

Small problem I forgot about. Been married before so certificate doesn’t show my maiden name. Do I have to obtain copy previous marriage cert and divorce order?

what it is asking for is confirmation of your current situation… which is “Married”…to Mr so and so… hence married name…

might be better to give all the paperwork… rather than it drag on for want of a “missing” piece of paper… It might be awkward at some stage… if your “maiden” name is not the correct one…

My licence was issued in my maiden name, I believe this is normal, so that’s why they need your birth certificate and your marriage certificate to show the transition as, presumably, your other documents are in your married name.

You will need to send copies of everything I’m afraid to show how you got from Shaw to Pitchers.

I’ve just done the reverse and changed my French licence to a UK one including a change of name for my marriage. I sent the appropriate form, a photo, my old French licence, my French marriage certificate, and a photocopy of my ancient UK licence from 5 years ago. Sent everything last Monday and got the licence yesterday. Impressive.

Not expecting that sort of turnaround! Have ordered copy of first marriage cert online but decree absolute will present a problem as it was 1976ish and other than names have no other details. Will ring the Court tomorrow and see if they can help.

Thanks for the heads up everyone, and the reassurance that it is worth sending everything, so far I have been providing a paper trail of name changes (birth > marriage > divorce > re-marriage & change of name by deed poll) and so far its worked.