Life in Dept 19 Correze

Thanks for your kind response. Yes we were in the Bordeaux area 30 years ago and it was very hot then ( loved it!)

Oh you should have a fine time gardening around Eymet, it is orchard land, the SW Dordogne N Lot et Garonne are known for fruit! If you aren’t on a clay cap the soil is incredibly fertile, I live at the top of a hill so my soil is pure clay with lumps of limestone ranging in size from a person’s head to a mini, but down in the valley if you spit out a pip it turns into a plant with no effort (acute envy).

Just to give an example, on my rubbishy land I have table grapes, various varieties of each of the following: apple, pear, nashi, quince, plum, cherry, peach, nectarine, apricot, pomegranate, persimmon, medlar, almond, hazelnut, and walnut. And I grow raspberries, black, red, and white currants, olives (enough each year for a bowlful!) lemons kumquats and tangerines. You could grow kiwis, I haven’t because they are invasive but they do v well, to the point where they are grown commercially.

So really if you are gardeners you should be in clover, there are some good nurseries about for all sorts of plants, I get my fruit trees from the agricultural co-op.
As I said I’m only about 20km north of Eymet so of course we can meet up, just send me a message :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow!
That sounds just about perfect! :grinning:
You are growing everything we’d love to grow (and more!).
Ideally we’d like to be a little elevated ( as can’t help but feel a little anxious about flooding)
But I guess that’s in the future. We’re coming over in June next year so I’ll figure out how to pm you.

1 Like

It is all rolling low hills around Eymet and farther south, unless you are actually in a dip or in a house right next to a stream there’s probably not much to worry about. Mairies have a map with all the floodable bits marked on them.

1 Like

Helle Vero;
can’t find a way of sending pm
could you advise please?

To send a pm to anyone just click on their name and a blue box marked message should appear

like this

Ahh… Thank you!

Very late to this discussion, but as the current travel situation looks set to continue yet awhile, it could be useful to look at other areas of Nouvelle Aquitaine such as Correze which are cheaper,and the weather generally less hot (by a few degrees). A good site which covers both areas in called 'The Dordogne Valley. We live in the most southerly part of the Correze near Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne and having lived in three other parts of France (including Paris), I have found this area gives me everything at an affordable price, plus exceptional neighbours.

There are many elevated spots, ours is in a place called Puy d’Arnac (‘Puy’ means 'high point or viewpoint by the way) and we have a ‘borrowed’ view of some 25kms as far as I can calculate - which makes a pleasing addition to our own 800m2 - as we don’t have to look after it!
Just a bit of a bonus is that we have six of the Most Beautiful Villages in France between 10-30 minutes drive from our front door.
Good luck!

1 Like

Mark, specially for you :joy:

3 Likes

There is a place called Arnac-la-Poste which always has me and my children sniggering (many places have snigger-worthy names and we are easily set off).

Funnily enough… each time we see that sign… we say “Arnac the Priest” and burst into the Slaves Chorus from Nabucco… :crazy_face: :thinking:

1 Like

Arnac the priest and Nathan his side-kick anointed Solomon king … … … … …
Andallthepeoplerejoi oi he ho hi hoiced

Marvellous

Edited because I left an oi out

Excellent… you know what I have obviously forgotten… would you like me to burst into song now… Ah… wise choice… silence is golden… :smile: :smile:

1 Like

not the best recording… but I love Russel Watson’s take on this… when he opens his pipes and just lets the song flow… magical…

1 Like

:musical_note::notes::notes:Vaaaaaa pensieeeerooooo, su ull’alii dorateeeeeeee;:notes::notes::musical_note:

1 Like

Please let me in on the joke as it is the first time i have ver heard of one.;

2 Likes

could it be a “play on words”… arnaque = scam/rip-off … linked with the Post Office… :thinking: no idea… only guessing… knowing kids and sniggering… it could well be something saucy… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I asked my French wife as to why this was funny, and she said probably because La Poste are crooks - basically what you said, but I must have lost my sense of humour as I couldn’t see anything remotely amusing about it. Some places like Montcuq I can see, as with several other places such as Pet de l’Aine (i think that’s the spelling) OK, but this one escaped me.

OH always chuckles when we pass Condom… :thinking:

I had a friend who when living in Belgium produced a dinner party menu that was only constructed around French words of dubious(?) character to us English, but the French were not in the least surprised. Wish I could remember them Pis-en-Lit was there, as was Cul de Coque, but at that time most had to be explained to me I think I recall Pet de La Nun? A wine? I am sure the more erudite French Speakers here could help us construct a menu? Why not give it a try?

1 Like