Lighting tapers

Thanks @KarenLot … I may have to got for those in the end, but I much prefer old-fashioned tapers! I’m starting to think this isn’t really realistic…

@AngelaR

Would these do?
They are the best deal I have seen :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I just about remember them a piece of cotton cord dipped in wax it must be a simple experiment melt a few wax candles and immerse a length of cotton string

Italian churches (those minichapels with their own altars round the edges) where they have a stand for you to light a candle off the existing burning candle(s) in the front of that chapel, usually have glasses containing a 7" or so taper next to the burning one so you (after offering a coin or note) can light your own candle.

So I would guess they are readily found in Italy.

Interestingly, all the reviews on the Holyart website found by @vero are in Italian, so might actually be coming from Italy.

Another reason to love living in Europe!

Indeed I did, thank you @stella I suppose they didn’t quite fit what I had in mind, being mainly quite short but I may end up going for one of them

Apologies to @vero - I read your google suggestion as clerges rather than cierges - must start wearing my glasses at the computer… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I thought as much :grin: the holyart.fr website is full of treasures :joy:

2 Likes

My goodness, isn’t it! In my more hippy period, I remember buying these and also Orthodox incense since the more usual joss sticks of the period tended to make me feel sick. Think I may still have some somewhere…
https://www.holyart.fr/produits-de-consommation/charbons-pour-encens/charbons-allumage-rapide-sachet-de-5-pieces.
I made some small pottery burners to put them on/in as well… sigh… those were the days :smiley:

2 Likes

In the blurb… Holyart describes the “bougies fines blanches x 100” as actually 25cm long… which is hardly short :rofl: :rofl: unless you’re looking for something more like the olympic flame… :rofl: :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You’re quite right of course - I’d looked at the brown ones … I don’t think I was “firing” on all cylinders yesterday :roll_eyes:

I know the feeling… and the 100 thingies might not be really what you want… so difficult to tell from photos…

2 Likes

I am also grateful to @vero for the fascinating Holyart website tip.

Couldn’t help having a browse through icons and incense burners, though I actually need thin candles for 2 x 1920s candlesticks. Not sure I’ll need 100 in this lifetime but I may set up a little altar for Christmas. :candle::candle:

2 Likes

I remember tapers as the only way to light the gas lights in the house. Being careful not to touch the mantle.

1 Like

These appear to be what you are after!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wax-Lighting-Tapers-5810-5-Long/dp/B00FDT9G9E

1 Like

And they come all the way from the USA hence the remarkable price of about 50c per taper.

1 Like

They do look right but can’t be shipped to France unfortunately. I think I may well go for the ones in the site @vero and @stella found (and then find someone else who wants to help me use the rest of the 100!!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002RIXMP8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B002RIXMP8&pd_rd_w=f16Gv&content-id=amzn1.sym.8d91a06c-52c8-441e-afa4-963e53268566&pf_rd_p=8d91a06c-52c8-441e-afa4-963e53268566&pf_rd_r=QDSXVKMR9CE75BDG0B78&pd_rd_wg=I2xgc&pd_rd_r=9fe95ca7-693d-4818-a930-3e159d478be4&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&smid=A2ZWG6EW1I2S1T

Amazon again, but more realistic!

1 Like

Those are very interesting, thank you @timothy_jarrold1 ! A very definite possibility. I wonder why I didn’t find them when I was looking… :thinking: