Lit gas bottles smelling like paraffin

Another small concern in our lives - lit a couple of the portable gas fires last night and there was a strong smell from the butane like paraffin, which seems very strange. Never had that before.
These are bottles from last winter, but they’ve been indoors, not outside, so I don’t think it’s a temperature problem. One bottle is nearly empty, so we’ve taken that out and we’ll try a new one tonight.

Anyone else come across anything like this?

It sounds as if there’s a leak. Check the rubber seals in the connectors as they do wear out and need to be replaced every few years.

To check for a leak, coat the outside of the joint with a mix of water and washing up liquid. When you open the valve, look for bubbles - these will show that there is a leak.

1 Like

must confess, sounds like a leak to me as not noticed any smells… I cook using butane and it’s odourless.

on the other hand… did you use anything to clean the fire before using it now…

Could the smell have come from accumulated dust burning off perhaps ?

@suepj has gone very quiet - I hope all is well.

Sorry for my silence Brian, yes, just fine. :grin: Haven’t had a chance to explore things further as the last 2 days have been manic. We’ve not used the fires since until we’ve got it sorted.

3 Likes

Phew. I had visions of a butane-powered explosion…

2 Likes