Live in France, Work in the UK

Given name Stephen post signed thanks Elaine

1 Like

Apologies Peter and Stella . Yes Peter that ginger puss is my adopted pussy lol 15 this year rescued first yesr in Spain . He is a handsome dude .

Feeling very stressed and think just going to call off sale and stay where we are lol Think will let Brexit happen and go from there though loose sale and taken us a year to find a buyer :fearful::joy::joy:

At least i know what i am doing in Spain , have our permanent residence card etc .

Frankly Stephen… what you are now suggesting might well be your best bet.

If you are secure where you are (and it sounds as if you are) why rock the boat and enter unchartered and certainly choppy waters ???

Once the Brexit dust has settled (whenever) - if you still fancy moving, then you can take a fresh look at what is possible and how to go about things.

By the way, you still have not told me what nationality you are…?? :thinking:

No offence taken Stephen, like your cat story, you have a big pussy cat heart.

I reckon lots of Brits abroad are feeling stressed, we live in very uncertain times and for most of us this Brexit mess and Boris Johnson on top of it is no joke :roll_eyes:.

Just have to ride it out. All the best wherever you end up. France isn’t going away, you might end up here anyway! :smiley:

He’s either a Tasmanian, an Australian or an exile from Merseyside (Birkenhead, Wirral). People from that neck of the woods often have a far-flung heritage, am I right Stephen? :thinking::joy:

I hope you haven’t found a buyer in Spain or else they are going to be disappointed

I think he has a buyer (after 1 year) - but he can still move elsewhere within Spain as he has a Resident Card for that country.

They can be rovers

1 Like

If Brexit does happen on 31st October you don’t have enough time now to become legally resident in France by then. It needs 3 months. So the idea of swapping a legal residency in Spain for something unknown in France sounds quite unsettling!

And France also has a financial threshold you have to meet, which might be incompatible with not working more that 90 days in the UK?

If there isn’t a compelling reason to move I’d stay put!!!

Cross border working is a hot topic for Brits in Luxembourg and the BRILL (Britain’s resident and living in Luxembourg) Facebook group and organisation has spent a lot of time gathering information and lobbying in the U.K. and Brussels.
May I suggest anyone who is a cross border worker have a look and interact with the organisers.

For what it is worth. As I understand it cross border working was due to be addressed in the political understanding document but of course the withdrawal/transition/political understanding DEAL was rejected by the British Parliament.

1 Like

This is the problem , so much conflicting information . Many people seem to be of the belief i was , as long as in France before Brexit you can register as arrived and then apply once done three months . Anyone arriving after Brexit , especially with no deal presumably will need a visa .

However yes i am of the opinion for us sadly its to big a risk . If it was us no dogs , well we could just move back to Spain but with 7 dogs not an option.

Thanks to everyone replying

Hi Stella , tried to reply but for some reason it did not , i am British . Well regarding moving its been a dream fir 4 years . We have been trying fir the last 4 years and even had-a small place in Brittany . 2 sales fell through on house in Spain , Brits whose own sales fell through .

So in the end had to sell house in France . Now typically an offer with cash ready , however if Jane is right its no good getting there before Bre it date if you need to have been there 3 months before ( still not sure about this ) other french sites suggesting as long as in before Brexit you can start your three months .

Haha Peter , you must have been snooping bang on we are originally from the Wirral though left at 19 . Ps Wallasey thank you not Birkenhead :joy:

Patricia , yes sadly they will be disappointed but we have to think of our pets , if it was just us two i would risk it . Plus to be honest their solicitor is being very obstructive so that just made the decision easier . Again if Jane is correct it might be best they do not buy as they will need three months in Spain as well before can be legal

Jane , yes could manage as that was another reason to move to France , the quality of properties for the money we wished to spend is far better . Spanish want so much money for a run doen Cortijo yet people do not want to psy a fair price for a three bed three bath villa on large parcella .

Graham . Thanks will have a look

Thank you all for replies , i will be monitoring situation .

1 Like

Spain’s rules on residency might not be same as in France…

Where the confusion might have arisen is the difference between whether the UK leaves with a deal, or stubbornly goes for no deal.

With a deal then there is likely to be a transition period, so as long as here before B-date then the risk is low. However in a no deal scenario things could well be very different and more likely that you would have to prove you were legally resident for 3 months to satisfy the French authorities.

Hi Jane

Yes just found this Spain passed March this year , assuming still applicable

1 Like

Loved Wirral as a kid in the 1940s, had an uncle and aunt in Upton, Loretto Drive, always spent our holidays there, biking to Moreton shore on aunty’s sit-up-and-beg bicycle with basket on the handlebars, visiting relatives in Port Sunlight for tea on Sunday, bird-watching with uncle on Bidston Hill… :hugs::star_struck:

Uncle was an artist, used to call aunty’s iced cakes with a cherry on top “Miss Johnsons” after a girl who used to model nude for him… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Hi Jane , reading this on the RIFT website suggests to me as long as in France before Brexit you can live 3 months no visa , no applications . Then apply presumably with your proof of utilitybetc , money sufficient to live , health cover etc . How do you read it

​​To live legally as an EU citizen in another EU country, you must be exercising your ‘treaty rights of free movement’ - the treaty being the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). The treaty gives you the right to go to another EU country to do one or more of these four things:

• to work;
  • to enter into self employment or self establishment (run a company);
  • to live self sufficiently (living on your own resources, whether retired or other); and
  • to study.

​For example (and as long as the UK remains an EU member) as a UK citizen living in France under one of the circumstances above, provided you meet the conditions you are exercising treaty rights and therefore are making use of EU law and are legally resident in France. The same applies to a French citizen living in the UK. If you haven’t moved to another EU country, though, you will not usually be making use of treaty rights and therefore cannot usually make use of EU law.

Initial right of residence - up to 3 months

​Every EU citizen has the right to reside in another EU country for a period of up to three months, without any conditions or formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport.

Your family may accompany you during this period even if they are third country nationals (ie citizens of a non-EU country).

I read it the same as you EXCEPT that if there is a no deal Brexit you cease to be an EU citizen immediately, so these rules no longer apply. That’s the risk!

3 Likes

Yes, Jane - That is certainly something to highlight/remember: If Brexit happens on 31st October 2019…

On 1st November all Brits living outside UK become Third-Country Nationals and “all bets are off” - as we face a whole new ball-game. :thinking::zipper_mouth_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow: In my opinion, a difficult time ahead.

Obviously, I am not talking about Brits who already have dual nationality.

May I suggest any one who wishes or are a cross border worker should look at the BRILL (British immigrants Living in Luxembourg) Facebook site.
Fiona Godfrey originally ran the site and as a cross border worker, and there are many in Luxembourg, has spent three years lobbying and talking to EU authorities about this issue.
Just Google her name.

Found and asked to join but as not living in or moving there not sure will be approved