Livebox cle de securite problems

@NotALot What you suggest is exactly what Eddie will do tomorrow as he is the one with the knowledge and the little doodad which measures or determines such things. But if it is out, would that not mean that it would always be out and I would not get the excellent signals, once in, for the rest of the day that I do?

That reply above is regarding the Manhattan signal from the satellite dish.
The one below is regarding the internet signal to the TV

@Badger I didn’t know it could be changed but I am into my Livebox Admin at the moment and I see a message which says

Your default password is composed with the first 8 digits of the WiFi security key indicated on the back of your Livebox.

Does that mean the password for doing anything in the admin screen, or does it mean that is all I have to quote for the key required by the TV? If so, I have already a memory of this from last time and have already tried it this time, but it still doesn’t work. Upper and lower case isn’t an issue either, the whole key which is in letters is all upper case, so no confusion.

Something only needs to be a whisker off and you get marginal reception. Remember that you’re trying to decode a signal from a satellite 38,000 kilometres away that has to fight its way through the atmosphere.

1 Like

I sometimes have trouble deciphering the missus when she shouts at me from the other room :rofl:

1 Like

You know you’re in real trouble when she’s in the same room.

1 Like

Yes.

Take a photo of the sticker (the one with the security key on the bottom of the Livebox) and send it to me in a private message.

Technology is ganging up on me at the moment. I took some videos of my new gate wheels the other day from which I took a snapshot to publish on here. Just after that the camera declared that the batteries were flat so I put them on the charger, they charged up to max rather quicker than usual and, when replaced, showed on the screen to be fully charged. Tried to take the pics just now and it reckons they are flat again.

So, do you need the whole sticker or just the whole number? I can send that to you no problem.

No, the statement means that the password you require to administer the Livebox when it left the factory was/is the first 8 characters of the factory assigned wifi password.

You can change either or both; the use of the first 8 characters of one to use as another is simply a convenience & not an obligation.

So you are saying that the first 8 digits are just for admin but I need the full 26 for connecting to the TV.
Is that right?

Yes, they just get you into the Livebox.

In your instance, yes, the full 26 characters for connecting to the Livebox wifi network.

Bizarre, it won’t let me get beyond 21.

Oh oh, I’ve just read the link @hairbear gave from the discussion last time, and saw this:

he pressed on with the remaining letters and numbers even though they weren’t showing on the screen

I’ll be back.

Failed again, try again but it is exhausting on a remote, especially as I can’t see the last 6 on the screen

So, following a DM exchange we know that David has a Livebox 2 and can log into the admin pages with the first 8 characters of the WEP key

David, navigate to the wi-fi settings page (shown here taken from the user manual)**

When you are there take a screenshot.

** - not the official manual, I suspect, but the one here

If it were me I would change the Security Key for the wifi network to something easy to remember and to type on the TV… something like “00000000”. However I don’t want to be held responsible if something breaks and David can’t get back on to his wifi network to fix things.

Ditto, but also make sure David’s livebox is using WPA/WPA2 not WEP

Nothing a factory reset won’t cure :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Nothing short of burning coals up the bum would persuade me to do that again, I am touching nowt.

Good news is I made it, can’t even remember how now because the last 4 hours I have been trying to get YT and, worst of all, Netflix back on the screen. The latter a 1 hour ‘chat’ with their helpline who finally got me in via my computer. Anbodyd’th think they don’t want my money.

One thing left today so I hope Eddie comes good tomorrow to check the dish out etc, if that’s good I will be sending off for a new Manhattan but even that seems to have changed its ways for some reason, it used to be on all the time the power was on but today it has switched itself off if it detects I am not paying attention to it after an hour or so but, at least the remote switches it back on again.

Thanks everyone for all the help, rushing off again to tend to the dinner.

To be honest David - although I would understand why you don’t want to touch it if it is now working - I still have a strong suspicion that you are using WEP and really need to move to WPA.

If only because it means you won’t have to faff around trying to enter a 26 digit hexadecimal number via a TV remote next time you need to enter the Wi-Fi key, and can set a much shorter, more convenient one.

The time-out setting that switches to standby if no input is made in three hours.

Change in the settings > system > set Auto Standby to ‘Off’

Thanks for that, I’ll try to remember it if it ever becomes a problem, but it really isn’t at the moment so I will leave well alone. The one change I might make, after advice from @billybutcher, now that I know I am a WPAer not a WEPer, is to change that 26 digit key to something more manageable.

But just before I leapt I was warned that all my other devices would be, possibly, disconnected in doing so. This is not a reason not to do it, but I really do have to think what and where they all are and how I change them to the new password. Not least making sure I actually know how to change each one. :roll_eyes:

However the good news is that the dish is spot on so it rests with the Manhattan and even this might not be a total loss as one thing I might try is leaving the mains on all night, but shutting the decoder down with the remote instead. If that doesn’t work, replacing it is the next step.

Well so much for it not being a problem. It is, but as it hasn’t happened before it must have been accidentally switched on, so I have switched it off now, thanks @b33jay .
Funny thing is it happened earlier too but I switched it off with the tv remote, not the decoder’s. Couldn’t find such a thing in the tv’s settings so fingers crossed. :smiley:

Isn’t that a hexadecimal key David? We’re all binary now :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes, but as @billybutcher explained, I am on a more up to date sytem which only needs an 8 digit code which I can change. I am only hanging back a while because I know I will have to update all my other stuff which relies on the Livebox.

I still think the Manhattan has passed its sell by date and am considering replacing it from Amazon.uk or a French company, TV Corner, when I have more details from both.

1 Like