Lizardy thing ID please

in provence this morning - the dogs ran straight over it - never looked - i guess it has no smell? and it was completely still - (in fairness they were squirrel hunting at the time)

i know it’s probably “the famous common green …” that i should know but my ID skills are usually ‘snakey thing’ ‘ratty thing’ ‘bit like a badger but not’ … you get the idea x

3 Likes

What a gorgeous handsome ‘thingie’! :grinning::heart_eyes:

He is gorgeous! You can tell he is a he because his throat is turquoise. :heart:

1 Like

They are so hard to get good pictures of, so wow. We have all kinds here and I never get bored of watching them.

1 Like

Your rare lizard was also at our house on Monday - but as with many lizards here it has lost its tale. (our cats love to play with them).

Thank you all so much - frankly i’m just glad it’s a lizard and you didn’t all howl with laughter…
So - A male European Green Lizard - and even when it’s so, so green out there by the woodland river he was SO GREEN, the blue was Day-Glo, and his yellow toes!

cannot believe Emily & George didn’t see it - they’re usually pretty keen lizard watchers - asleep on the job again!

3 Likes

One of my favourites to photograph in the garden, where they seem to thrive. I’ve even observed them hunting and eating other, smaller, common brown lizards. They are voracious predators.

Currently, we have about 4 to 5 pairs in the garden, this is give or take standard each year we’ve been here. In my previous home literally 10km away, I never ever saw a single one in 15 years of living there.

1 Like