Local elections UK + EU elections UK

Has anyone registered in the UK for local elections?
If so please vote for a remain party! My choice would be the Lib dems. Also,
does anyone know if a person that is registered to vote in the UK EU elections will be sent a voting form by their UK council electoral office?
I do not remember if the last time I voted in France the EU candidates were only from French parties. I have been here under 15 years so eligible to vote in the UK elections.
Again I wish to vote for a Remain person/party.

1 Like

We are registered to vote in the UK elections.
We will probably be voting for Change UK.

We are registered to vote in UK, but do so via a proxy postal vote so polling card sent to our proxies. We donā€™t want to risk missing the vote because of slow post to France.

Contact the electoral office of where you were last registered to vote I think, but hereā€™s the info. Not sure what deadline is for european elections

7th may deadline for forms to be back with office in UK. So need to get your skates on.

Thank you .

Thank you Jane.
I emailed our electoral office yesterday

So I hope they will reply and that our papers are on the wayā€¦

Too important to miss out.

I have received a reply from my election
Office. I am not able to vote in local elections but assures me that ballot papers for the EU elections will arrive in good time.

But thatā€™s because you missed the deadline? Normally you can vote in Local elections in UK

I thought you COULDNā€™T vote in local elections if not UK resident?

If so, thatā€™s not clear as just says you have to be registered at an address in the area you want to vote inā€¦ this is whatā€™s on Gov webiste as requirements

*be registered to vote

• be 18 or over on the day of the election (ā€˜polling dayā€™) (16 or over in Scotland)
  • be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or EU citizen
  • be registered at an address in the area you want to vote in
  • not be legally excluded from voting

This from the Electoral Commission website
Who is eligible to vote?

To vote in a local council election a person must be registered to vote, 18 years or over on polling day in England, Northern Ireland and Wales or 16 years or over on polling day in Scotland, and also:

• a British or Irish citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of the European Union
  • resident in the UK
  • not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote

The following cannot vote in a local council election:

• anyone other than British or Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizens
  • convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
  • anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

Says you must be resident in UK. But I agree that isnā€™t clear from Gov.uk webpage

I received this by email,

On the Websiteā€¦ all was going wellā€¦ until it asked me when I left UKā€¦

I put in the dateā€¦ and whamā€¦ itā€™s the ā€œ15 year and moreā€ Rule

He said we are not eligible to vote in the coucil elections. We can here.

How long have you lived in France, Ianā€¦ ???

Coming up to 12 years.

Haā€¦ haā€¦ you are only a beginner thenā€¦ :upside_down_face::wink::grinning::grinning::grinning: which is why you can still vote under UK rulesā€¦:hugs: so much luckier than others who have been here longer and cannot vote in UKā€¦ and face being totally disenfranchised :zipper_mouth_face:

This is fairly clear -

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/who-is-eligible-to-vote-at-a-local-government-election

Yes, lucky in that respect. Its a bloody disgrace. Pay taxes,right to vote.

Phoned my electoral registration officer in Essex today to get up-date on forthcoming postal vote arrangements. He couldnā€™t help, said ā€œMy computer just crashed, it keeps happeningā€ā€¦

Doomed! Weā€™re all doomed!