Log cutter advice

Can't put them in the hydraulic splitter if they're over 50cm either. It's infuriating if they're literally 4 or 5cm too long because of a misjudgment or whatever at the yard.

Yes, I think I might go the electric route with a Bosch or similar. I like the versatility of petrol but for this I don't need a super power, lobbing down a forest saw. Just something to remove the annual aggro and callouses. I'll have a look at the brico for something big, strong and vice-like that will hold a chunky log down safely. Otherwise it'll be my drop-down bars on a saw horse to secure it I think just while I cut downwards. It's only to make sure it doesn't kick upwards. Thanks Vic.

So split 'em first & then stick 'em in a cheapo vice. 5" ain't too bad if you get my drift ;-0. Easier to clamp if you have one flat(ish) side. Just don't hit the vice with the chain as it don't 'alf mess 'em up. With only a dozen or so a year to cut John,s leccy chain saw would certainly suit your needs leaving you some dosh for Twerp ( I love that name) , the animals, & your remaining couple of, as yet, undisclosed vices ;-)

Ah, I have only a couple of vices left. I used to be full of 'em when I lived/worked in London.

Probably none of them are over 8-10 inches? Maybe? They're extremely variable in diameter. Some are probably only 5 or 6 inches but then there's the odd "chunky" thrown in which are the ones that are a complete pain to hand saw. I actually do have a couple of old doors that I could turn into a work table. If I could find a huge vice or clamps that's a great idea. Just clamp it down so it overhangs (the table weighted down at the other end with something probably). I just need it not to be able to move while the blade's moving down over it. I probably get a dozen or so annually that need this which is why I said it's not exactly an ongoing thing but safety (especially as I've never used a chainsaw before) obviously is paramount as there's only me to take care of Twerp and the animals.

What diameter log are you going to cut? A cheapo vice screwed to an old table might do the job & would be reasonably quick. At least they will be held firmly allowing you both hands free to maim yourself !

Question. Are there any cheap vices? ;-)

(1) I like you too

(2) Toy boy would be sooooo useful but there ya go.

(3) Maybe I can rig up a drop-down bar or similar that I can bolt that into place to prevent fly ups? Then the only option the logs would have is to fall.

It's only the ones that exceed the 50cm ordered so I can neither split nor handsaw them. It wouldn't be an ongoing (I hope) thing so maybe if I nail up 2 or 3 cross bar supports, a front protection board and a drop down bar, put one log in at a time, secure it and only then start the chainsaw. It'll be a slightly slower process securing them in individually but still a hell of a lot faster than trying to reduce the length of each with a handsaw.

Hydraulic or drybolic! as we used to call it. I reckon yours will be an electric jobby. Mine is hydraulic & driven by & attached to my tractor. Solo is OK if you know what you're doing but still dodgy & not to be attempted lightly be a novice. Chainsaws jump & kick if not handled correctly & can be LETHAL. The problem you will have is holding the log whist you cut it as you need two hands for the chainsaw & it's more difficult to hold & cut a short log than a long 'un. I've seen a saw horse with a clamp arrangement for DIYers so maybe worth researching one. I like you so please don't do anything silly.

On second thoughts, to hell with the boy toys, get yourself a toy boy & let him do it ;-)

Hydraulic splitter, that's the name. Yes, that's what I've got (presumably we're talking about the same thing) - shove it in, log gripped from both ends and voila, reduced diameter. Wouldn't be without mine now.

Vic, saw your comment re the always having a chainsaw "buddy". It's not possible for me to have one, I'd be flying solo so, apart from building an as-secure-as-I-can-make-it saw horse to hold the logs so as not to physically touch them, anything else I should bear in mind? Mine are only for the log burner where they've been delivered a few centimetres too long to fit either the burner or the splitter, so I'd need to chop them down the middle to reduce length then split them. It's not the greatest of fun having to use boy toys but needs must.

Agreed, the way Scott put his hand into those partially opened splits, if one of those closes up again bye bye arms!

I'll stick to my hydraulic splitter. 4 X faster & 10 X less dangerous. Imagine getting caught up in that thing & not being able to reach the clutch pedal :-)

I think i'll buy 4 of them and leave them on permanently

I'm out of here. You have the opinion of a 'proper logger' with 50 years experience. Over to you Patrick. make yer own mind up :-)

Yeah but I'm talking about cutting logs not sticks !

Interesting and timely thread. I haven't cut any logs for decades but will probably get back to it later this year when I finally move to France. My only experience was in Canada, where a friend loaned me a chainsaw with a four-foot bar. Escaped with my life -- just -- so all the safety warnings here are vitally important. I've always been intrigued by this hub-mounted log splitter but suspect it's not as simple as it looks. Interesting to see how it would affect the warranty on your car.

Al

VMT Debra excellent video links....I often wondered what many of these 'contraptions' were for: >) Just one question Petrol 2 stroke or electric chainsaw?

Never use a chain saw alone is deffo rule no. 1. I've seen some awfully messy injuries caused by 'em.

Photo? :-)

Hi Vic,

agree with all your points on safety but would add a helmet with ear muffs and safety mesh - just to save your ears and sawdust in the eye is painful.

In addition to the cutting wood in the forest I always take a buddy just in case!!!

That's fine then John! Maybe we can agree on:- Petrol for pros & 'proper' loggers, Electric for DIY ers ;-)

Debra. They are all very pretty & extremely girly but I'm betting they wouldn't last too long in the real logging world. They look great for drying your washing on though ;-)

I got that and I agree but in this case it's probably close to the home and a different ball game. I was surprised how good the little electric was, so were my friends, they borrowed it and cut their fire wood inside their barn, normally ear defenders are mandatory but not with the electric and they have bought one as well. Still require a sharp chain no matter what saw is used though.

This is the saw horse I cobbled together. Probably 10 years old now & I still haven’t cut it in half :slight_smile: